VMware Edu & Cert Community
mirceasandu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Passed VCP550, What now?

Hi everybody,

I just passed VCP550 exam, and I don't take any prerequisite course from VMware. For what I understand, to become a certified VCP, I must take any of this course: Fast Track; Install, Configure, Manage; Optimize and Scale or Troubleshooting Workshop. All of this for V5.5

As I say, I pass VCP exam, and I just need to take any of this course. It is my first VMware exam.

My question is, what is the less expensive course, and can I take it Online? And are some VMware promotions to reduce couse cost?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rfehderau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Classes provided through the VMware IT Academy typically cost much less than the commercial trainers. The downside is that you're taking a 2-3 month course instead of a 5 day session.

VMware fully recognizes the course from Stanly as meeting the VCP training requirement. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you'll need to meet the training requirement to obtain the VCP5-DCV certification. You can review the training options here:

(VCP5-DCV) VCP-Data Center Virtualization

As you've already passed the exam, your skills should be at the level equivalent to the Fast Track class - on that basis I'd suggest the Optimize & Scale class or Troubleshooting Workshop. There's a comparison page here:

Comparison: vSphere Troubleshooting WS vs Optimize and Scale

You can review the schedules (classroom, online) for both classes by looking on the pages for each class.

You also asked about promotions, have a look here:

VMware Training & Certification Promotions (Global)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
VRBitman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Wait, does this mean one can freely take the exam and do a course only afterwards?

I was under the impression that it is absolutely necessary to do a course BEFORE the exam.

-- VR Bitman | http://virtualis.info | vSphere 5.5 Guide: http://goo.gl/QUqTH7 VMware professional, virtualization & FOSS evangelist, informatician, geek VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCP-DCV
0 Kudos
rfehderau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OP,

If you are looking for an inexpensive course that qualifies, look here: https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php. This course costs about $200 and is completely online.

VRBitman,

I don't think it matters which order they are done in, as long as they are both completed. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I also took the exam first and am only now taking the course.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can take the training and exam in any order.

As you would expect though, the training can help with preparation for the exam - as an example the Fast Track class covers almost all of the exam objective topics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
ricmarques
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VRBitman,

As scott28tt has said, you can take the training and exam in any order. That is documented in the following FAQ (in the VMware Certification FAQ page):

http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/faqs.cfm?ui=www#6006

Do I need to take the class before I take the exam?

While you can take the class and the exam in any order, VMware recommends that you complete the course requirement prior to scheduling and taking the exam.

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Ricardo Dias Marques - http://twitter.com/ricmarques
0 Kudos
mirceasandu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everybody for their answers!

I registred to vmware.stanley.edu but I have a question. Can I take this couse online? Are somebody else who take this course from vmware.stanley.edu?

Again, thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
rfehderau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that course is completely online and at your own pace. I'm currently taking the course from Stanly; if you are already familiar with VMware it's a breeze.

mirceasandu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice! I have another question, if is permited. I see this exam cost ~200 USD, and any other course specified in VMware req for VCP, is about 1500-2000 EUR in my country. Why I such a difference betwen them? And VMware recognize this course from stanley?

0 Kudos
rfehderau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Classes provided through the VMware IT Academy typically cost much less than the commercial trainers. The downside is that you're taking a 2-3 month course instead of a 5 day session.

VMware fully recognizes the course from Stanly as meeting the VCP training requirement. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One other significant difference - the requirements set by VMware for an IT Academy lecturer are nowhere near those set for an Authorized Training Center instructor.

Only a VATC class will be delivered by a VCI.

0 Kudos
mirceasandu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes scott28tt, you may be right. But in my case I already pass the exam. So for me right now is important to keep cost as low as possible and get certified by VMware for VCP550, and next to get a VCAP maybe, and so on Smiley Happy

Again I must thank you all!

0 Kudos