VMware Cloud Community
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Building a Distributed vCAC Installation with vCNS - Not quite sure on how to proceed

Evening everyone,

Its been around 3 days that I´ve been building this distributed vCAC installation using vCNS as a load balancer. Now that I finally managed to install every component, I´m facing some strange behavior when configuring vCAC throught the Web portal. Here are the specs:

- 1x PostgreSQL 9.3.4 running on a Suse Linux Enteprise 11 64-bits;

- 2x vCAC Appliances 6.0.1;

- 1x vCNS 5.5.2;

- 2x Edge Load Balancers (HA);

- 1x vCenter Single Sign-On (vCenter Server 5.5 Update 1);

- 1x SQL Server 2008 R2 (Iaas DB);

- 2x Windows Server 2008 R2 (2x Websites; 1x ModelManager; 2x ManagerService; 2x DEM Orchestrator; 2x DEM Workers; 2x vSphere Agents);

- Everything was built following the Installation and Configuration Guide (vCloud Automation Center Installation and Configuration)

And here´s how things were done:

1 - Downloading, installing, compiling, configuring SLES 11 and PostgreSQL - OK

2 - Deployed vShield Manager from vCNS - OK

3 - Deployed Edge Appliance with HA: The Appliance has 3 addresses: 1 for itself; 1 for the vCAC Portal; 1 for the Iaas - OK

4 - Configured Edge Pools and Virtual Servers: Now that is one which I´m not 100% with. I didn´t exactly find anything with instructions on how to load balance vCAC components, but here´s what I´ve done:

- Created a Pool for the Web Portal: Services - HTTP (80; LEAST_CONN) and HTTPS (443; LEAST_CONN); Health Check - HTTP (80; HTTP; default values) and HTTPS (443; SSL; default values). Did not specify a URI (since I´ve no idea if there is one); Members - Added both vCAC Appliances (HTTP - 80; and HTTPS - 443);

- Created a Pool for the Iaas machines: Copied the configuration from above, changing the address to both Windows vCAC Iaas Servers;

- Created a Virtual Server for the Web Portal: HTTP (80; COOKIE; JSESSIONID; INSERT) and HTTPS (443; SSL_SESSION_ID). Set Portal external IP and Web Portal Pool;

- Created a Virtual Server for the Iaas: Copied the configuration from above. Set Iaas external IP and Iaas Pool;

5 - Deployed 2 vCAC Appliances. Configured for distributed installation. Disabled internal vPostgre and Orchestrator. All services up - OK

6 - Deployed 2 Windows 2008 machines - OK

7 - Installed 2 Websites (1 per machine - both running), 1 ModelManager (first machine), 2 ManagerServices (1 active, 1 standby), 2 DEM Orchestrators (1 per machine - both running), 2 DEM Workers (1 per machine - both running) and 2 vSphere Agents (1 per machine - both running).

A few notes:

For every time the installer requested the vCAC appliance, ModelManager or ManagerService hostname, I´d always input the external FQDN (that resolve to the Edge IP addresses), as written in the manual. The "Test" button would always "Pass" each time.

Now the issues I´m facing 😞

1 - I successfully accessed the vCAC web portal by pointing to the Edge address. I successfully managed to log in. But, during the initial tenant configuration (branding, identity store, mail servers) the interface would reload or simply "stuck";

2 - Now I´ve logged with an Infrastructure admin and the interface states I don´t have a DEM Orchestrator (although I have two running). Exact message:

"There is no Distributed Execution Manager (DEM) running as an Orchestrator. Many actions such as provisioning a machine will not complete until a DEM-Orchestrator is started."

I´ll start looking over some more, playing a little with the Edge balancing methods and do some more logging but I´d like to know if anyone has ever tried a configuration similar to this one and maybe could share some notes or ideas.

Thank you very much.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update:

- I´ve changed the Web Portal Pool Load Balancing method to IP_HASH and now it seens complete stable;

- I´ve deactivated HTTP for the Iaas Pool since vCNS was stating that it was always "Down"

Sadly it still says I don´t have DEMs installed 😞

0 Kudos
Henrique_Cicuto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another update:

I messed a little with the component machines boot order.

First, shut down all Iaas and Web portal machines.

Start FIRST the Iaas machines. Wait till they´re done booting. THEN start the vCAC appliances.

The missing DEM Orchestrator message is gone.

0 Kudos
BaoKhanh
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Henrique,

I have plan to deploy vCAC 6.0 with vCNS integrated with vCloud Director 5.5 like your specs that you descried above. Could you share me the steps that you have deployed vCAC?

Thanks a lots,

0 Kudos
ggundal_1985
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Henrique,

Can you please let us know what was the exact issue with the Load balancer or any other that you encountered during the installation ? What was the solution that you applied for the issue that you discover "The DEM orchestrator found to be offline".

Please let me know if you have documented the installation or the resolution step for the issue.

0 Kudos