VMware Horizon Community
CBrianGreen
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View Direct Connect Agent and Licensing.

I've been reading about the Direct Connection Agent and have even tested it.  It has worked great so far.  I am confused about how this product is licensed.  We have a few manual pools in our View environment where we provision machines and manually install windows applications.  It would be easier to provision the machines and use VADC to allow direct connections (bypassing our View Connection server all together)  Is there a view licensing requirement to do it this way or is that connection covered by our per CPU license model?

Thanks

Brian

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Horizon View is license with "Concurrently connected Desktop" so this is still required when using the Direct Connect Agent since its a part of Horizon View.

There is no license enforcement in the VADC or in the View Connection Broker but its up to you to make sure you have enough licenses.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
CBrianGreen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response.  Is there a lower cost license for this type of connection or do you have to purchase the full Horizon View license?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I have not seen any specific licensing model for using VADC but you should contact your local VMware salesteam.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Linjo is correct. Whether the brokering is done by View Agent Direct-Connection or by View Connection Server, the user does get the full View remote experience (PCoIP, USB, RTAV ...) and use of all the View Clients. The licensing is the same in both cases. "Concurrently connected Desktop".

Mark

CBrianGreen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for the quick response.  We're been using View for a little over a year and just asked for a quote on more licenses.  The cost per seat has increased significantly since our initial implementation.  Our original rollout was 50 users for around 6K and the new pricing is 10 users for around 3k.  I'm trying to understand the increase prior to going to management and asking for money.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I May not give you an exact answer for the Price rise and how it is controlled but things in technology have been really changed if you check Horizon View 5.3.1 and check the portfolio VMware is giving you every opportunity and every feature which is useful for you.

Company spend a considerable amount on resources and if you really Compare View 4.x and View 5.x it is an amazing difference. Apologies!!

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos