VMware Cloud Community
nurlai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring Alerts

I have created a query and used "Add Alert for current query" to save it and run it daily (to send me a report).

Two questions:

1) I want the query to run only ONCE in 24 hours period. However, there is no way to change "The query will run every 60 minutes".

2) I want the query to run AT the time I want. we need an option to specify the query run time.

thank you,

ildus

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey Ildus - just following up, can you mark this question as answered?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey Ildus,

Can you elaborate on the use-cases? I sounds like you are trying to use alerts as a way of generating reports. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

1.) The longest time interval an alert can be scheduled for is 60 minutes, however it will only alert once for the defined period. So if you set the threshold to 1 day, yes it will run every 60 minutes, but if it returns a result then it will trigger the defined channel (i.e. email and/or vC Ops) and then it will NOT alert again for 1 day. So you will only ever get one alert for the threshold, but it will not be at the same time every day.

2.) Queries run from the time they were created. If you want to specify the time, you need to create it at the time you want it to run.

I would suggests this enhancements on loginsight.vmware.com. It would be very helpful to understand the use-case(s).

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
nurlai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Steve

Yes, this is reporting functionality request... The use case is simple - user wants to receive a daily report on java exceptions in last 24 hours. they don't need an alert on each event, they want to see the trends.

The ideal scheduled job would run at 8:00 AM for example and deliver the results over last X number of hours (24 in this case). Or, it could be a weekly job that runs on Monday at 8:00 AM with all the results in last week...

thank you,

ildus

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey Ildus,

Thanks for the clarification. I just added the following new feature request: Need true reporting capabilities in Log Insight - The VMware vCenter Log Insight Community. If you agree, please be sure to vote for it.

Can you please mark this question as answered?

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hey Ildus - just following up, can you mark this question as answered?

0 Kudos