VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

total network usage per VM

Hi,

I'd like to determine the total network usage per VM over a given time.
Is there a metric that combines the total data received and transferred?

I want to use this data so I can figure out how much it would cost to move the VM to a cloud provider

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

this is not sufficient?

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.monitoring.doc/GUID-41B7E742-B387-463...

Network (Mbps)
The Network (Mbps) chart displays network bandwidth for the virtual machine.

This chart is located in the Home view of the Virtual Machine Performance tab.

Usage

Average rate at which data is transmitted and received across all virtual NIC instances connected to the virtual machine. 

Counter: usage  

Stats Type: Rate
Unit: Megabits per second (Mbps)
Rollup Type: Average (Minimum/Maximum)
Collection Level: 1 (4)

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes. Virtual Machine : Network : Usage Rate (KBps) will be an aggregate of network usage for each VM.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
gregpmills
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, did you ever figure out how to get this information? I'm in the same boat.

Cheers

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're specifically interested in this from a "what would it cost" perspective, then you might want to look at vRealize Business for Cloud. It can be connected to the vIDM appliance if you don't use vRA and can provide a cost comparison model for certain VMs against Azure and AWS.

0 Kudos