VMware Cloud Community
jss27560
Contributor
Contributor

FAILED: A general system error occurred: SQL_CANTOPEN: unable to open database file

I have tried to convert a physical disk with the program and every time I try it fails with the same error, FAILED: A general system error occurred: SQL_CANTOPEN:
unable to open database file
I have tried over 10 times and always get the same error. It usually failed after a few % but has failed at other times, once at 97%. I have tried with networking turned off, rebooted the machine, ran chkdsk on both the machine and external drive. the drive is under 700gb and the disk I'm trying to install the image on is 932gb free.

any suggestions? attaching error logs.

5 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to uninstall and install teh Converter again. HTH

0 Kudos
Ram2190
Contributor
Contributor

All you have to do is to login to converter server and browse the path below

C:\Programdata\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\db

Verify that you have a folder called db and check if it is having a lock sign on the same,if it is then the database file is locked and the conversion fails.The resolution is to stop the backup services / antivirus services and re-fire the job and it should work fine.

phanxlee
Contributor
Contributor

I met the same problem on Converter Standalone 6.1.1 / windows 7 pro.

Yes, it's a directory permission problem.    Add the permissions on the directory will fix this issue.

This post is very helpful, thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kramaijcovich
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. I solved it just stopping the antivirus services. I done it after switching-off the network, for security reason (I was converting the local machine!).

0 Kudos
Nevika
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please elaborate in detail about the directory permission problem

0 Kudos