VMware Communities
Slimy
Contributor
Contributor

Unity mode on Ubuntu 14.04

Hi everyone,
I want to use Unity mode on Ubuntu 14.04 with Workstation 10.0.2, but it isn't working (The virtual machine cannot enter Unity mode. ...). I installed latest vmware tools and reinstalled Ubuntu on Workstation 10.0.2 and it still not working.
Is this OS supported? Or what can I do?

Sorry formy very bad english,
Slimy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Is this remote computer , if yes then it wont work as per design. .

http://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-10/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.ws.using.doc%2FGUID-8C477788-770...

0 Kudos
Thomas1868
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that you are using the default Desktop environment in your Ubuntu 14.04 installation. By default, Ubuntu installs the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment. It appears that VMware does not like the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment and cannot run the VMware Unity mode.

A solutioni is given in this blog post.

0 Kudos
dragon_788
Contributor
Contributor

I can vouch that the blog post linked does have a replacement detection file that will fix the issue, with the caveat that you need to install and use Gnome-Session-Fallback (Metacity) or Mate for a Gnome based environment or install KDE (or XFCE) to run KDE apps/windows in a KDE styled environment. Unity works with most of these fairly well. The thing I miss the most is not being able to use a fast launch search like Quicksilver or Synapse that exists in your guest VM. I'm going to show this "fix" to some of my coworkers and see how they like Unity mode, but the lack of Ubuntu/VMware support for this has made the feature somewhat of a "nice to have" not really a selling point.

0 Kudos