VMware Communities
david_eisner
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Send Function Keys with MBP Keyboard

I'm using VMware Fusion Professional Version 6.0.3 (1747349) on a Macbook Pro 15 with Mavericks 10.9.2 as the host OS and Windows 8.1 Pro Update as the guest OS.

I'd like to send function keys (F1, F2, etc.) with the laptop's built-in keyboard, but the only way I can do so is through the VMware menu: Virtual Machine > Send Key > F11, and so forth.

I tried the suggested method, <fn>+<Function Key>, but that does not work. I also tried changing the OS X keyboard settings to "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.", but that, too, fails.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Thanks.

-David

Tags (2)
3 Replies
SerjM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David,

Just had the same exact problem,

I've found that this is what works for me: in VM settings go to "Keyboard and mouse" - there are several choices there

- Mac Profile

- Profile Default

(- and I have "Windows 8" also, may be you will not have such)

I've checked the difference between these two profiles and it was that Default profile has "Mac Host Shortcut" option valued to "Enabled", whereas "Mac profile" has this option Disabled.

So I switched to Mac profile (just by clicking on the profile line in the list) and that was it.

After that all F1..F12 keys went directly to my guest VM (Windows XP by the way).

Hope this can be of help

Sergey

squadmz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

0 Kudos
Harisankar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks SerjM

It worked for me aswell