VMware Cloud Community
Anil_K
Contributor
Contributor

If i have VMware vSphere 5.5 Enterprise plus edition, do i need to buy VMware vCenter as well?

Hi

As per the below screenshot ( taken from VMware education Site),  VMware vSphere 5.5 Enterprise plus edition include mostly all the feature set of vCenter, then please let me know if i have VMware vSpehe 5.5 Enterprise plus adition, then do i need to buy vCenter also..?

vSphere 5.5 Edition.jpg

4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If you want to use Enterprise Plus functionality then yes vCenter would come in handy Smiley Happy

In other words: vCenter is a requirement if you ask me.

schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey,

Enterprise Plus has all that features license. But to use them you need a vCenter.

Tim

Anil_K
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thank u so much for you response,

So if I have VMware vSphere 5.5 Enterprise Plus without VMware vCenter I will not be able to use any of the functionality , it will work as a VMware vSphere Essential which is Just ESXi Hypervisor where we can create Virtual machine only?

Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere..

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey,

without vCenter you can basicly just create and run VMs.

Most other functions, like HA,DRS,vMotion,SvMotion,SDRS, etc. require a vCenter Server.

If you can afford Enterprise Plus licenses, buying one vCenter Server Standard license will not ruin you Smiley Wink  (Or the cheaper vCenter Server Foundation, which can only manage up to 3 ESXi hosts)

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos