VMware Horizon Community
Identitas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mouse cursor disappears since Windows Update 8.1 “desktop friendly”

Hello. Since the installation of the major Windows 8.1 update sometimes the mouse cursor disappears after log in (unlock) or when switching between multiple VM's. After reconnecting the mouse cursor is back.  Has anyone had similar experiences? We have a zero client to connect to the VMs. We use Vmware View Horizon with the newest updates and only with PCoIP.

Edit: I have already reinstalled VMware Tools and VMware View Agent

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
benitok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try the following,

Change the registry key 'EnableCursorSuppression' to '0'.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableCursorSuppression=0

This worked for us.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
fina27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are having the same issue. Were you able to make any progress on this? We use Wyse P25 and View 5.3

0 Kudos
Identitas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey fina27

No unfortunately not. I think I Need to open a ticket.

0 Kudos
benitok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We've also got the same problem with the mouse disappearing on Windows 8.1 (Vmware View Horizon with the newest updates and only with PCoIP). Connecting from Ubuntu (Vmware-view), Apple Mac or Windows VMware Horizon View Client and they all have the same problem with Windows 8.1, mouse disappears and the only way to get it back is to disconnect and reconnect.

Anybody figured out how to fix this?

0 Kudos
fina27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can fix it by uninstalling the update 2919355, or if users dont mind.... they can get the mouse back by simply pressing Ctrl/Alt/Delete then hit back or ESC and now you can see the mouse

0 Kudos
benitok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@fina27 - Thanks. (Vmware-View on Ubuntu) I have to press Ctrl/Alt/Delete, click on "Send Ctrl-Alt-Delete', it brings up the menu for "lock, sign out, change password, task manager" and then the mouse re-appears. I click the back arrow and it works.

0 Kudos
rsweatland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This seems to be an unresolvable issue... Are you going to step in here VMWare to correct the issue r give us a work around?

0 Kudos
benitok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try the following,

Change the registry key 'EnableCursorSuppression' to '0'.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableCursorSuppression=0

This worked for us.

rsweatland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Benitok,

I am recomposing now with your suggested fix. I will let you know how it goes...

0 Kudos
rsweatland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Benitok,

Unfortunately that did not work. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
benitok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rsweatland,

Sorry no more ideas.

The registry setting was the advice I got from VMware support and it worked for us.

Kkasif
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me try this...

TRY RECONNECTING YOUR KEYBOARD AND RESTARTING YOUR PC

0 Kudos
rsweatland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If it were only that easy.... This was fixed in an 8.1 update.

0 Kudos
Cituer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows updates can sometimes affect your system. I also met this problem earlier and found a solution. You just have to uninstall recently installed microsoft updates except for the security updates. :smileylaugh: It worked for me.

0 Kudos
bertb880
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had tried changing the key in the registry and rebooting. However the problem persisted.Smiley Sad

A additional step was needed because I had tried to prevent unintended touchpad hits while typing. I had set the mouse pointer option below to hide pointer while typing. If users have made this setting,  then changing the registry key as the solution indicates does not solve the issue. The two actions together are needed and solved the issue for me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/windows-81-cursor-disappears/7148867...

a.    Press Windows and X key and select Control Panel.

b.    Click on Hardware and then click on Mouse.

c.    Click Pointer options

d.    Uncheck the Hide pointer while typing box.

bertb880

0 Kudos
SJDthePCMD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I tried everything on this post and others to no avail nothing worked!  But in my search for the answer I finally found the solution!

Find the vmware.exe or VpxClient.exe if you're using (VMware vSphere Client) on the Host or Control System, right click, goto Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, then check the box "Disable display scaling on high DPI Settings". I also enabled Compatibility Mode and choose Win7, then close and re-open the VMware Workstation or vSphere Client and it now works fine!

Hope it works for you!  Let me know!

Peace!

SJDthePCMD

0 Kudos
scylla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had the same problem with Windows2012R2.   The registry modification did the trick!  

We are using WIndows 2012R2 in Horizon View as a desktop platform.   The pointer would disapear everytime the screens was locked.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
rangle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you tried some of these steps to resolve the issue?

Mouse Pointer Disappears Windows 8 Quick Fix

0 Kudos
scylla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I applied this to the registry to fix the problem in Win2012R2:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system]

"EnableCursorSuppression"=dword:00000000

Here's where I got the hint:

The mouse pointer disappears occasionally on Windows 8.1 Update 1 View desktops (2081495) | VMware K...

0 Kudos