1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2007 7:19 AM by TomHowarth

there are not enough licenses to perform this operation

ccaasjf Enthusiast

Hiya

Have redeemed my vmtn licenses and having problems registering the esx server within virtual centre, this worked fine for the demo license!

Build ESX with a host license

Guest runs w23r1 with virtual centre and license server, firewall turned off.

Change ESX to point to the license server.

Virtual centre points to itself

Try to register the machine into Virtual Cente and get the above error.

Anyone else seen this and how do you get round it.

Thanks

Simon

• 1. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
          whynotq Master

unfortunately yes, all to often. Seems to be a problem with the quality of the licenses. try to redeem it again, I've heard of some people who had corupted txt files and others where the licenses are just incorrect. If it doesn't work call VMware and ask them to check the licenses.

• 2. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
            ccaasjf Enthusiast

Hiya

Yeah tried this already now have three licenses:

1) host works ok

2) license server file

3) additional license server file which includes 2)

Neither 2 or 3 work ok and I cannot now redeem any more licenses.

Bloody annoying.

Simon

• 3. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
              ccaasjf Enthusiast

Hiya

Looking at the log they seemed to have given me a license code that does not support virtual centre!

sIMON

9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Rereading license file...

9:43:07 (lmgrd) Done rereading

9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Server started on 2l0hp1j-vm01 for:     PROD_ESX_FULL     

9:43:07 (VMWARELM) VC_ESXHOST     

9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Support removed for feature PROD_ESX_FULL(0B74 3F76 ED04 0C41 )  9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Support removed for feature VC_ESXHOST(1123 A0B3 1C5C 5E14 )  9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Updating feature PROD_ESX_FULL  9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Updating feature VC_ESXHOST  9:43:07 (VMWARELM) Rereading options file...  9:43:07 (VMWARELM) ...Finished rereading

9:44:26 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "PROD_VC" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS   )

SYSTEM@2l0hp1j-vm01  (License server system does not support this feature.

(-18,327))

• 4. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                whynotq Master

you are lucky, I've seen one thread where the guy got GSX licenses by mistake....

• 5. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                  ccaasjf Enthusiast

Hiya

Have now logged this as a support issue SR 265515, my initial email to the vi hotline responded in a pdf being sent which was a quick start guide to licensing!

These are the logs:

\----

Status

\----

Flexible License Manager status on Tue 7/11/2006 07:22

\[Detecting lmgrd processes...]

License server status: 27000@2l0hp1j-vm01

License file(s) on 2l0hp1j-vm01: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware License Server\vmware.lic:

2l0hp1j-vm01: license server UP (MASTER) v10.1

Vendor daemon status (on 2l0hp1j-vm01):

VMWARELM: UP v10.1

Feature usage info:

Users of PROD_ESX_FULL:  (Total of 2 licenses issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_ESXHOST:  (Total of 2 licenses issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

According to the License server I have enough licenses available.

Reloading the license generates:

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Rereading license file...

7:27:00 (lmgrd) Done rereading

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Server started on 2l0hp1j-vm01 for:     PROD_ESX_FULL     

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) VC_ESXHOST     

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Updating feature PROD_ESX_FULL

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Updating feature VC_ESXHOST

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Support removed for feature PROD_ESX_FULL(0B74 3F76 ED04 0C41 )

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Support removed for feature VC_ESXHOST(1123 A0B3 1C5C 5E14 )

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) Rereading options file...

7:27:00 (VMWARELM) ...Finished rereading

Then adding an ESX host into Virtual Centre generates 'there are not enough licenses to perform this operation' and the following log:

7:28:34 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "PROD_VC" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS   ) SYSTEM@2l0hp1j-vm01  (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

7:28:51 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "PROD_VC" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS   ) SYSTEM@2l0hp1j-vm01  (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

7:30:03 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "PROD_VC" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS   ) SYSTEM@2l0hp1j-vm01  (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

7:30:59 (VMWARELM) UNSUPPORTED: "PROD_VC" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS   ) SYSTEM@2l0hp1j-vm01  (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

doing an netstat -ab proves the license server is working:

TCP    2l0hp1j-vm01:27000     2l0hp1j-vm01:0         LISTENING       2404

TCP    2l0hp1j-vm01:27010     2l0hp1j-vm01:0         LISTENING       180

Anyone else seen this with a VMTN license?

Thanks

Simon

• 6. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                    Cikis Lurker

Hi, I do have the same problems and the same output on the licence server. So if you find the solution please let me know

• 7. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                      yingerc Enthusiast

This is ridiculus!  I have the same problem, been on hold for way to long.  Finally got someone and they would have to call me back.  On day 2 now and still problem is not resolved!  Same licensing issue as before!  What the hell good is the GOLD SUPPORT?!?  I think they should just give our support money that we pay to the people w/ the most points in these discussion rooms!

• 8. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                        mstahl75 Master

Is it possible that the order of the license file matters? I have PROD_VC listed in the license file first.

Though, looking through the lmgrd.log file I have some of the same error messages you listed, though all the licenses appear in the VI Client correctly.

• 9. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                          Lfrisino Hot Shot

We are having the same issue here. We have several licenses available (30). However, as soon as we switch from host-based to server-based, I receive the same message of "there are not enough licenses to perform this operation."

I have an SR open, and spent a few hours on the phone with a tech yesterday. I sent him the log files from VC. Today, he responded with "I have successfully reproduced this scenario in our lab here as well.  I will continue to work through this to suggest a fix.  I will contact you once I have some additional information."

I wil post our resolution as soon as I hear back from VMware. We are currently running the host-based eval licensing on two 4-way boxes and one 2-way box.

• 10. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                            Daryll Master

Hey there,

Thank you for filing for support with this issue.

I encourage anyone who's having this issue, or any other that's stopping you from getting your server licensed, to file for support through your SnS plan and talk to a technician about it.

If you're having trouble redeeming, the vi-hotline email address is the right place to send your questions.  But if you're having technical problems AFTER redeeming your licenses, file for support.

Thanks,

Daryll

• 11. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                              NormanE Novice

Exact same problem:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=47046

Support told me to contact vi-hotline, which was pointless as they don't seem to understand the problem I am putting to them. Everything works fine with an eval license.

Been attempting to sort out this problem for over a week now to no avail. I have platinum support on both the VC and 2 esx servers. VMware also seem to fail to recognise I have 2 esx servers even though they are listed on my serial number page. Still battling with them to get the second server upgrade code - going round in circles with this too. Very disappointed with the level of support from the vi-hotline. Surely customers should be given a telephone contact option as the email takes around 3 days to get a reply. Which turns out to be useless and the circle starts again.

• 12. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                                Daryll Master

Norman,

File a support request and call the support hotline, and insist that you speak with a technician regarding this issue.  Tell them that you didn't have any problems redeeming, and that you're having technical difficulties getting your server to recognize the license file.  Tell them there is not any help forthcoming from the vi-hotline alias and that you're not willing to try that avenue any more.

Make sure you file a support request and get routed to a technician for help.  Write me an email through my profile with your support request number if you have trouble getting to someone to talk to.

-Daryll

• 13. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                                  NormanE Novice

Thanks for the response Daryll.

I have a support fault already logged. Will get support to reopen it and let you know.

Cheers

Norman

• 14. Re: there are not enough licenses to perform this operation
                                    ccaasjf Enthusiast

Hiya

This is the third day now and still no resolution.

Filed the problem as a support issued and was told to contact vi hotline.

Anyone else had the run around?

Simon

1 2 3 4 Previous Next