VMware Edu & Cert Community
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Anybody currently doing DCD?

Hi,

I'm looking for some study peers for the VCAP DCD exam. Anybody currently studying en want to walk through some things together?

58 Replies
sbolan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Feel free to contact me via email.

Shawn Bolan

sbolan@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awful Adobe Flash based labs are in this exam

Your schemes can run out from screen, when you want to move some component Flash can crushed and only change PC without any correction for that scheme works. And of course all this clock is working.

Is any variant for new verification for test resuls?

because i didn't passed with 270 and if crashed labs can be verified and consider that some questions i wasn't  be in time to answer as i had to change PC..

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@comotoza - did you lodge a complaint with VMware Certification? Hopefully, Josh/Linus will see this thread and take care of this for you. I too had a problem with a lab when I pulled something onto the design canvas and it completely effed up the design (no amount of undoing would help, the undo somehow got disabled too). I started from scratch and pulled that thing onto the canvas first and then went about the rest of the design question. Essentially, I worked around the problem. But it's a pity that these problems still exist in what's otherwise a great exam.

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wrote on email emeaeducation@vmware.com last week, but no answer at all.

0 Kudos
John_Tecchio
Contributor
Contributor

@tomtom901,

If you are still studying for the DCD, feel free to reach out to me via email.

VirtuCloud@gmail.com

I am scheduled to take the exam this coming Monday.

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm currently studying for this right now, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's taken it about what topics your design questions were about, and how you felt you managed your time?

I'm not looking forward to the exam...

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The design questions cover every single section in the blueprint and are made up of a number of multiple choice questions, about 10 drag and drop style questions and 4 visio style questions. The questions are anything from VCP style kinds of questions to explaining AMPRS sections to Conceptual or logical or physical designs.

I wrote a blog posting about both of my attempts at the exam here:

VCAP5-DCD : My Experiences | TheSaffaGeek

VCAP5-DCD Retake | TheSaffaGeek

It's a really good exam and my biggest bit of advice is to practice doing mock design scenarios. Also if you've gone on the VMware design course then do the labs and go through the answer pdf's

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recently failed this with a score of 270...  I wasn't prepared for the length of the multiple choice scenarios, but just managed to complete the exam with 2 minutes to spare.  The whole exam is tough, but I am more focused now for my second attempt in a week.  I'm practising working out CPU allocation and growth %ages etc to speed up my answers on the multiple choice.  A great new book I have discovered for this course is the VMware Vsphere 5. Datacentre Design Cookbook published by Packt..  I had already read the Vsphere Design and VCAP-DCD Cert Guide, but this extra book has helped with sizing calculations of which there were a lot in my exam...

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership

I have also failed a DCD exam with score around 280.

Had 2-3 crash labs during the exam, networking visio labs, the error message was flash player crash or something.

I found it is quite hard to understand the questions at the first time, need to read 2x or 3x time.

Will try to re-take the DCD exam again soon.

A bit tough for me to schedule an exam, need to fly to other country since it is not available yet in my country (Indonesia)

@john_tecchio

I hope you passed the exam.

Would love to hear your exam experiences too.

I'm also looking for study peers, my email is bayupw at gmail dot com

Thanks,

Bayu

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Hi Bayu,

I just emailed you. I'm also in contact with John and I hope I'm not out of place but John didn't succeed the first time. If anyone else is interested in sharing, please leave your e-mail and I will contact you.

Tom

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the advice on the book, just ordered a copy Smiley Happy

So it was the multiple choice questions that gave you most trouble?  How did you find the questions split between technical design (eg. topology, host specs etc) and procedural design (eg. determining risks/constraints etc, design methodology and projects)??

Did you find the questions followed the Blueprint quite closely?

I'm also looking for peers, feel free to contact me at mailmustardio@gmail.com

Cheers guys, this has already been really useful!!

0 Kudos
John_Tecchio
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tom.

You're not out of place at all. I have been out of pocket on some large projects and have not had the time to swing back to this forum.

Sorry folks... :smileyblush:

I did take the VCAP5-DCD exam back about 2 weeks ago. I unfortunately missed by just a few points. I actually ran out of time with roughly 12-13 remaining unanswered questions (one of which was of course, a diagram-based Design Tool question :smileyangry:). However, one more correctly answered question would likely have passed me. I found the entire exam experience to be very different than any exam I have ever taken before. Raw memorization and last-minute cramming WILL NOT help you with this exam. You must know and understand the foundations of the Design Methodology that VMware follows.

I found the biggest set back I had personally was the use of the Design Tool. I had 6 questions of this type. I found that not only was I struggling to read the scenario really fast, but I was also struggling to figure out what exactly the scenario wanted me to create in the diagram and where/how to lay out the objects in the way that was expected. In my humble opinion, there should be a bit more than a basic (and very short) overview and simulation or the Design Tool (available here https://mylearn.vmware.com/register.cfm?course=149330). The simulation was helpful, but not enough to help you understand what the required layouts are of the objects and where on the page to place the objects. There should really be a resource available that outlines how to use this Design Tool as it relates to the exam. I honestly had no idea where to place the objects, what objects needed to be inside other objects, and if the objects I was placing were being placed where they were supposed to go.

The rest of the exam was fair and did not need complex deciphering. The questions were based on the content as exactly outlined in the exam VCAP5-DCD Blueprint. KNOW THESE OBJECTIVES.

After taking the exam, I have found that there are key resources I had already had that would have helped me significantly for this exam. These resources are as follows...

1. Pluralsight's (used to be Trainsignal) Scott Lowe's training video entitled Designing VMware Infrastructure. Hands-Down, this is the best resource in my opinion that I used that aligned perfectly with the content I was tested on during the exam
  2. Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Design [v5.X] was a great course to run through to help with absorbing the concepts and foundations of vSphere Design
  3. The infamous vBrownbag Podcasts. There is a VCAP5-DCD set of 15 Podcasts all around the content of this exam. There are guest presenters that are well versed in the topics covered. A great resource!
  4. A book entitled VMware vSphere Design by Forbes Guthrie, Scott Lowe, and Kendrick Coleman. This book has been in my hand since I started studying for the VCAP5-DCD exam. Great book, well written, aligns with the exam blueprint
  5. A book entitled VMware vSphere 5.1 Clustering Deepdive by Duncan Epping and Frank Denneman (this helped me significantly with getting my head around the specifics of HA, DRS, sDRS, and Stretched Clusters (yes, be prepared to answer questions on Stretched Clusters)
  6. A book entitled Networking for VMware Administrators by Chris Wahl and Steven Pantol. Great for filling in gaps on design and practices for everything networking in vSphere (VSS, VDS, and 3rd Party). Great book!

I will be rescheduling this exam very soon. There is a 14-day wait period to retake. So, I will be back to tackle this one!!!!

Best of luck on the exam folks.

John

jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Definitely more host specs than risks/ constraints in mine.. That's where I have focused for my second attempt next week.. Also been refocusing in getting the design questions spot on... Check out the cloud design white paper which I think is referenced in the blueprint... Hoping to nail it next time...

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Scott Lowe spends a session talking about the Cloud Design whitepaper on the Trainsignal VMware Design course (as recommended by John_Tecchio) so definitely worth a read.

jroyale- did you find the VCAP-DCD cert guide to be of much use compared to the Design books??  It seems largely focussed on the procedural stuff to me- are the formats of the Q's in this book and on the DVD similar to the multiple choice Q's on the exam?

jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Cert guide was a good read, but the questions in the exam are significantly more in depth than the questions in the Cert Guide.. Each multiple choice question was at least one and sometimes several paragraphs with the answers being a couple of lines each...

Reading quickly and disseminating the relevant info is key to getting these right. Learn how to do sizing calculations on the fly in your head if poss (there is a calc on screen), but the faster you can get the answer the better.

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I have just returned from the 100 mile round trip to the nearest exam centre that does the VMWare Advanced exams with my second failure with exactly the same marks 270. That's the best part of £800 of my own money with exam fees, books, travel costs, parking etc and I still don't know where I am going wrong and how I can have dropped so many marks. It's completely and utterly disheartening to fail by such a small margin twice and I just don't know whether I can continue along this track.  For one I can't afford to keep laying out this kind of money when I don't have a clear idea where I'm going wrong.  The Score report tells me the sections I need to study up on, but I am pretty convince my multiple choice/ drag and drop is not the issue...  It must be the design where I am dropping the marks.  Gutted, but I may have to give up on this cert.

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's extremely disappointing to hear, you must be gutted.

Did you get a similar spread of questions?  Did you get much repetition?

0 Kudos
jroyale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There was some overlap of questions, but they were some new ones I hadn't seen before..

I'm at a loss now as to how I can improve my score..

VCAP5-DCA / DCD
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

John,

I have some ideas, will email you later today.

Tom

0 Kudos