VMware Communities
AlycatSoftware
Contributor
Contributor

Friendly USB names

In either VM WS or VM Player, if I try to connect a removable USB device, the list contains things like "Seagate RSS GoFlex". If, like I do, I have 3 or 4 of these it gets confusing. If I use Windows Explorer I see the friendly name, e.g. "External Backup 1". How can I get these names to dispslay in VM?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MOrlassino
Contributor
Contributor

I use multiple USB network adapters (sometimes up to 6) with the VMs I work with and I have the same problem trying to figure out which network adapter I want to remove from host and connect to the guest. VMware Workstation 10 has the ability to change the icon of the available USB devices connected to the host, which is a good feature.  I use the different color USB icons available and a written label on the USB network adapter with the words "Red", "Blue", "Black", etc. to denote the different USB adapters connected to the Host machine so the I can connect the correct one to the guest VM when I need too.  It would have been really convenient (as a feature) if VMware Workstation not only had a way to change the icon but to also assign a "friendly name" to any USB adapter attached to the host so that if you hover over the adapter icon with the mouse pointer within VMware Workstation tray or go to removable devices in the VM menu the end-user would see the user-assigned friendly name displayed.  I believe VMware can implement this pretty easily (hopefully for Workstation version 11) since I think USB devices have a vendor name (manufacturer), product number, hardware vision and a "unique" serial number per USB device for PnP.

Hopefully someone from the VMware Workstation engineering or product management team sees this post and adds the feature to next version of Workstation.

Thank you,

Mark