2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 11:19 PM by askvmware

Multipathing with NPIV

askvmware Novice

I have done a NPIV with RDM setup. My host has two physical HBAs.

Only one path is visible to guest OS (RHEL6), I cannot see the other paths. Is it expected behavior ?

Zoning has been done for both HBAs and presented to VMs.

The VMware document says "If a host uses multiple physical HBAs as paths to the storage, zone all physical paths to the virtual machine. This is required to support multipathing even though only one path at a time will be active."

I am not able to understand the above statement "zone all physical paths to the virtual machine".

Any pointers would be helpful.

• 1. Re: Multipathing with NPIV
          martin_hosken Novice
          VMware EmployeesvExpert

It comes down to whether your storage processors are active/active or active/passive to how many paths you will see traffic using at one time. However, even on an active/passive array such as a VNX, your second path shouldn't be showing as dead.

Of course, zoning your fabric to the VM instead of the host will have an impact on the mobility of the VM. Whilst one of the use cases for NPIV is to be able to zone down to the VM for security reasons, typically I see zoning done to the host level only.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multipathing with NPIV
            askvmware Novice

My requirement is to get all the paths visible at guest level(Linux). Is NPIV is the correct way to achieve that ?

>>> Of course, zoning your fabric to the VM instead of the host will have an impact on the mobility of the VM.

So, if I zone the physical paths at VM level, vMotion will not be supported. Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks,