VMware Cloud Community
mlps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

client integration plugin bundle redhat 6.5 and chrome/flash

First time using chrome.  Would not be my first choice, and not at all familiar with it.

I try to open a guest console, says "this webpage is not available".

Google says need to install 'Client Integration Plugin".

So how do I do that?  All I can get it to do is download a client integration plugin bundle (yep.  It downloads the bundle.   Lots and lots of times).

thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello mpls,

That is not a chrome plugin. That is the client integration plugin from VMware. So if the plugin bundle is being downloaded then go to the download location, then run the bundle manually. Before running just close the browser. So trick here is you will have to install the bundle. It is an executable file Smiley Happy. If the bundle is not downloaded then you can get it in the following manner.

Open the webclient in the browser. When you give the url for example https://<FQDN of vCenter>:9443/vsphere-client , the login screen will appear. Just below the credentials space there would get the warning and download location for the client integration plugin. Download it from there and do a manual install.

It will solve the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well did you install the plugin? Install the bundle? (you need to close the browsers first)

0 Kudos
mlps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, silly me, for some reason I expect that it would install itself, since it says 'Install Client Integration plugin...'.  I'm guessing not though.

From [well, link doesn't seem to want to paste] support.google.com/chrome/answer/<gobbledegook>

it says:

[doesn't want to paste either...wuwt???]

implies that it installs, or finishes install, on restart of chrome.  But apparently not.

In settings, there is no 'install plugins'

In Extensions, there is no 'install plugin' or 'install plugin from local'.

So obviously I'm missing something obvious, but I don't know what.

So no, I didn't 'install' the plugin.  Or the bundle.

What am I missing here?

thx

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello mpls,

That is not a chrome plugin. That is the client integration plugin from VMware. So if the plugin bundle is being downloaded then go to the download location, then run the bundle manually. Before running just close the browser. So trick here is you will have to install the bundle. It is an executable file Smiley Happy. If the bundle is not downloaded then you can get it in the following manner.

Open the webclient in the browser. When you give the url for example https://<FQDN of vCenter>:9443/vsphere-client , the login screen will appear. Just below the credentials space there would get the warning and download location for the client integration plugin. Download it from there and do a manual install.

It will solve the problem.

0 Kudos
mlps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried to do a manual install, but it generates a permissions error even running it sudo  (Side question, how does one paste text into these forums?  right-click-paste doesn't paste anything,   Edit-Paste from the browser doesn't paste anything.  ctl-v doesn't paste anything)

Roughly:

$ sudo ./VMware<blah>

Extracting VMWare installer.....done

VMware-ClientIntegrationPlugin<blah> : line 302 /tmp/vmis.xx/blah/vmware-installer : permission denied

I've also tried executing it from root.

There is no (presumably residual) /tmp/vmis.xxx in /tmp

Never mind...Just dawned on me what I was seeing.   We mount the /tmp partition noexec,nosuid.  (we tend to follow best practices for this type of thing).  So how do I redirect this bundle installer target to somewhere more sensible than /tmp ?

thx,

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

BY any chance are you using vCenter 5.5? There is an issue with vCenter 5.5 web client. The adobe flashplayer version that the web client asks for does not exist for linux as Adobe stopped flashplayer for Linux environment. So web client 5.1 will work but not 5.5.

If that is not the case then you can simply set in chomre setting that whenever it wants to download something it will ask you the location. Or better simply cp the bundle from /tmp to some other location as root and then run. But remember the above line.

mlps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, yes, I am attempting to use the vcenter 5.5, and had abandoned it for just the reason you mentioned.  But there is a workaround (that I can't seem to paste here)  http://chrome.richardlloyd.org.uk .    I had some free time yesterday so I thought I'd give it a try.  But for day-to-day I'm still using (and will continue to use) the windows client in a virtualbox instance on my redhat box since they don't seem to have their act together (to a rather shocking degree) for this web client thing.  (I mean... flash?  seriously??)

0 Kudos
sajal1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HI,

Yes there is a way around but since it is not supported by VMware, I will not recommend it as if you face any future problems you will not get any support. So till the time there is an official solution Smiley Sad.

Hope this answers all the questions Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mlps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What I figured.  Anyway, playtime is over.  Back to what works.

thanks to all.

0 Kudos