VMware Communities
sud0nick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 10 installer crashes on Windows 7

I have been trying to install the Workstation 10 trial on a 64-bit instance of Windows 7 but the installer crashes every time.  I looked up the Windows error code (0xc0000005) and found it could be almost anything from a permission or version issue to the program attempting to access a nil pointer in memory.  Below is a screenshot of what I see every time I attempt to run the installer on my machine.

crash.png

Additional measures I have taken to remedy this issue are:

• Running as administrator

• Running in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (even some other OSes because I'm desperate at this point)

• Downloading the installer multiple times

• Installing all available Windows updates

• Restarting the system multiple times

• Searching Google for answers

I could not find anything online that stated someone else has encountered this problem.  Does anyone know what to do?

**UPDATE**

I attempted to install each version back to 7 and every install file failed.  Any other program I try to install on my computer works just fine, only VMWare software is failing to install.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Workstation installers are quite careless when cleanig up after a failed installation.
When you tell us that you tried various versions I think that you get the failure probably because of unclean rest of previous attempts.

Cleaning up is not trivial at all - it may be necessary to disable UAC and do a manual cleanup of the registry.

In your case it is probably easier to reinstall Windows - had to do that myself once even though I know how to cleanup manually ...

Are you running games with aggressive anti-piracy-protection ? - some of those tools could also make a installation fail

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Did you installed windows 7 sp 2?

0 Kudos
sud0nick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No such service pack exists.  I do have SP1 installed.

0 Kudos
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you use an antivirus/security-solution from Avast, Comodo, Avira, Norton, Kaspersky etc ?

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
sud0nick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use Symantec Endpoint Encryption.  I disabled it and the problem persists.  This only happens with VMWare install files.  Any other program I have tried installing works just fine.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Workstation installers are quite careless when cleanig up after a failed installation.
When you tell us that you tried various versions I think that you get the failure probably because of unclean rest of previous attempts.

Cleaning up is not trivial at all - it may be necessary to disable UAC and do a manual cleanup of the registry.

In your case it is probably easier to reinstall Windows - had to do that myself once even though I know how to cleanup manually ...

Are you running games with aggressive anti-piracy-protection ? - some of those tools could also make a installation fail

0 Kudos
sud0nick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well since I got a new SSD for my desktop I decided I would go with the re-install option.  It works perfectly now, so it seems like continuum was correct.

0 Kudos
brad_thurber1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having a terrible time installing vmware workstation 12 and some other vmware products. I would click on the installer, get a quick hourglass then nothing. The issue was that a completely different setup program with a name of "setup64.exe" (for the AdiIRC IRC chat program) was in my downloads folder. vmware installer must have code to use an alternate "setup64.exe" if it exists in the same directory as the installer. My fix was to simply delete setup64.exe; however, another likely fix would be to move the vmware installer to another directory. Hope this helps - Brad

0 Kudos