2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 10:03 AM by scottly

VSA in remote site

scottly Novice

Hello,

Our organization has 2 sites, HQ and our remote office (RO).  Here at HQ, we have iSCSI storage, but in our RO we only have the local host storage, so I was thinking about creating a VSA cluster so we can utilize vmotion and failover.  How would I go about this since I have Vsphere installed in HQ?  Our RO hosts are managed by VSphere at HQ, and from what I've read so far it seems that vsphere has to be installed on the same vlan as the hosts?  Or am I mis-reading that?  Also, for the cluster, since we only have 2 hosts we will need another machine that is a) not a VM and b) on the same vlan as the hosts for the cluster election if one host does go down, correct?

• 1. Re: VSA in remote site
          HaroldGig Hot Shot
          VMware Employees

Starting with VSA 5.1, the VC can be on a different subnet than the VSA cluster.

You do need to have a 3rd cluster member on the local subnet but that does not need to be a full VSA host.  It only needs to run the VSA Cluster Service to, among other things, serve as a tiebreaker in host failure cases.  The Cluster Service can run on any 64 bit physical host or virtual machine running Windows or Linux.  The VM can not be on either of the cluster nodes.  We tested it with a low cost (~$200) PC

Installing and Running VSA Cluster Service

• 2. Re: VSA in remote site
            scottly Novice

Thanks for the info!  Another question, the documentation says that the configuration has to be the same.  Is that set in stone?  Does it need to be identical?  For example, we have a poweredge r710 and a poweredge 2950.  One has 1.5TB and the other has about 3.5TB, is it possible to just partition the available space?  The memory amount is slightly different as well (about 8 MB difference, probably just a system difference in reading the memory) and the CPU speed is slightly different (still same number of cores, but about .5GHz difference)