VMware Communities
amatteo78
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6.0.2 + Windows 8.1 Pro

Hello,

I recently install Windows 8.1 Pro under Fusion 6.0.2, every works fine, I found only one things, every time apps as meteo, store and some others open automatically in my mac bar.

Have you found same problems ? I don't know if it has problem of Fusion or Windws. Other things I install Windows from Bootcamp, and if I use it from boot I haven't this problem.

Thanks

M.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

If this issue is seen only on Mac, then its possible that you might have these apps to start automatically .

Have a look at login items .

Apple System Preferences > Users and groups |  Login items tab.

Check if any of the Windows application is in the list.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
amatteo78
Contributor
Contributor

I check, and I have only Mac app, nothing about win 8.1.

Thanks

M.

0 Kudos
JBaumgartner
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact same issue.  It drives me crazy when the Windows Store randomly starts and appears in my dock.  A week or two ago it switched to the Reader app for some reason.

I just reinstalled both my Mac and my Windows 8.1 Pro VM.  I prefer running in Unity mode.  I am almost certain that Windows is starting the app, because nothing on the Mac side is doing it (nothing that I can find, anyway).

UPDATE: I went into the Windows Store and checked for app updates.  I applied all the updates that were there.  The Windows Store app hasn't started back up on me yet.  It's only been about 5 minutes, but it was opening faster than that before.

Message was edited by: JBaumgartner, possible solution?

0 Kudos
JBaumgartner
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work.  I had the store pop up this morning.

I've disabled app updates in the store, maybe that will help.

0 Kudos
SaxDaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem.  I'm running an 8.1 fully updated guest on an 10.9.2 MBP with Fusion 6.0.2.  Everything is patched and up to date in the host and guest but MSStore pops up randomly every hour or so.  I have no updates available in MSStore or Windows Update or AppStore for that matter.

Only a minor annoyance but I'd like to know why and fix it.

0 Kudos
SaxDaddy
Contributor
Contributor

So after having Windows Store auto launch a few times yesterday, I decided to look at the event logs on my Win8.1 VM.  Turns out that the Windows Store is a process call WWAHOST.EXE and is related to the Software Protection service (c:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe or "Security-SPP" in the event logs).  Here is the description for this service:

Enables the download, installation and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows and Windows applications. If the service is disabled, the operating system and licensed applications may run in a notification mode. It is strongly recommended that you not disable the Software Protection service.

This led me to a thread on TechNet that mentions running OPPS.VBS /DSTATUSALL which generated this output, matching the log entries in event viewer:

PS C:\> cscript.exe 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs' /dstatusall

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

---Processing--------------------------

SKU ID: <removed>

LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeExcelVL_MAK edition

LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, RETAIL(MAK) channel

LICENSE STATUS:  ---UNLICENSED---

ERROR CODE: 0xC004F014

ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is not available.

---------------------------------------

SKU ID: <removed>

LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeExcelVL_KMS_Client edition

LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel

LICENSE STATUS:  ---NOTIFICATIONS---

ERROR CODE: 0xC004F056

ERROR DESCRIPTION: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product could not be activated using the Key Management Service (KMS).

Last 5 characters of installed product key: BG7GB

Activation Type Configuration: ALL

DNS auto-discovery: KMS name not available

Activation Interval: 120 minutes

Renewal Interval: 10080 minutes

KMS host caching: Enabled

---Exiting-----------------------------

The thing is that I don't remember using a product key ending in BG7GB!  So I ran the following commands:

• cscript.exe 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs' /unpkey:BG7GB (Returned: "<Product key uninstall successful>")
  • cscript.exe 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs' /inpkey:my_product_key (Returned: "<Product key installation successful>")
  • cscript.exe 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\ospp.vbs' /act (Returned: "<Product activation successful>")

Now running /DSTATUSALL shows that my product is licensed and no more KMS errors.  It's been a few hours but Windows Store hasn't popped up yet. 

Let's hope this solves this.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
Joeb454
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same issue described here, but unlike you, SaxDaddy, I don't have Office installed, so that rules that out as the cause in my case Smiley Sad

Hoping there's a workaround for this found soon!

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my event logs I was seeing an event id: 512 - Windows Store failed to sync machine licenses

I looked on Google and the first hit linked to a thread which had this solution to make the problem go away: App - Sync License in Windows 8

I don't know if this will work for everyone but it's worth a try. I'll check on my VM over the coming days to see if the Windows Store still pops-up in Unity.

(Also in the thread, someone mentioned you could disable Windows Store in Task Scheduler, which might be worth a try).

0 Kudos