VMware Cloud Community
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How to disable the floppy when using EFI?

I am starting to play around with EFI and can't find a way to disable the virtual floppy and floppy controller that I would normally do when using BIOS.

Any ideas? Is it even applicable?

dariusd?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Linjo,

These forum @notification thingies work! :smileycool:

EFI doesn't provide a way to disable the floppy drive controller itself.  With recent virtual hardware versions, the firmware should automatically track and handle the addition/removal of virtual floppy drives – There is no longer any need to ensure that the firmware is aware of the number of virtual floppies and to enable/disable them individually, as there is with BIOS – but the FDC will always be enabled by firmware, as far as I can tell.

If you're using a Windows guest, you can go into Device Manager, right-click on the Standard floppy disk controller device and choose Disable.  The net effect will be the same as if the firmware was configured to disable the floppy controller... it just won't take effect until the OS has launched.

Let us know if that meets your needs!

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can disable (remove) it in vm-properties (show all devices), and later add if you need it. I removed floppy from all my VMs, it is no good for anything today...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Linjo,

These forum @notification thingies work! :smileycool:

EFI doesn't provide a way to disable the floppy drive controller itself.  With recent virtual hardware versions, the firmware should automatically track and handle the addition/removal of virtual floppy drives – There is no longer any need to ensure that the firmware is aware of the number of virtual floppies and to enable/disable them individually, as there is with BIOS – but the FDC will always be enabled by firmware, as far as I can tell.

If you're using a Windows guest, you can go into Device Manager, right-click on the Standard floppy disk controller device and choose Disable.  The net effect will be the same as if the firmware was configured to disable the floppy controller... it just won't take effect until the OS has launched.

Let us know if that meets your needs!

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos