VMware Cloud Community
glenn3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MS failover clustering with Windows 2012 R2 on ESXi 5.5 across boxes (Cluster Accross Boxes)

Hi all,

Sorry if this a noob question. I've done the research but geeting conflicting information.

I want to setup MSCS (using W2K12 R2) accross two ESXi 5.5 machines. I have shared storage through FC. It seems that to do CAB (Cluster accross boxes) I must configure my shared disks as RDM. I was wondering if I can do this with a simple shared VMDK disk. The VMDK disks reside on a shared data store (Fiber Channel).

Is this supported? Or is a simple shared VMDK disk supported only for CIB (Cluster in a box)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

correct. Cluster in a box it will work.

Cluster across box still you need physical mode (scsi controller) with rdm.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For MSCS vmfs vmdk is not supported, you have to go with physical RDM only.

-A

0 Kudos
glenn3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the fast reply!

I found this statement on the VMWare site:

"VMFS: Virtual disks used as shared storage for clustered virtual machines must reside on VMFS datastores and must be created using the EagerZeroedThick option"

I'm assuming this is only for Cluster in a Box?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

correct. Cluster in a box it will work.

Cluster across box still you need physical mode (scsi controller) with rdm.

-A

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You might want to review this document - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-55-setup-m...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
glenn3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

Glenn.

0 Kudos
pomaskin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You know why cannot use virtual disks for MSCS? I can't find the answer to this question.

0 Kudos
FarhanParkar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The reason is MSCS required to have SCSI 3 Persistent reservation, without that MSCS does not get validated, without validation MSCS cannot be created, even with some way around then it will be not supported at all by MS Support.

0 Kudos