3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 10:24 AM by jseth

Migrate, or Restore to replacement device?

jseth Enthusiast

Hello. One of our users received a new hard drive. His old hard drive is working fine and he is still using it. We want to place his current CVD from his old hard drive onto his new one. I was wondering whether to select "Restore a CVD to a Replacement Device", or should I select "Migrate to New Hardware"? Is there a significant difference between the results of either option, or a benefit of one over the other? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Migrate, or Restore to replacement device?
          rtindall Enthusiast
          VMware Employees

Do you want to restore the entire contents of the CVD or just his user data and settings? You can perform either or if you wish. I think the benefits would just be overall time.

If you want to still have the old cvd information available for restore even though its a "new" device, then archive the "old" CVD, and then have the "new" machine/hard drive in pending restores, force upload and re-link it to the archive and then you will have the old and the new available as well.

• 2. Re: Migrate, or Restore to replacement device?
            Enthusiast

Assuming you only changed the hard drive, and the physical machine ID remained the same, you should do neither.

From the Common Wizards, you should select Disaster Recovery and then Replace Hard Disk (which I understand is what you did).

You will then see a list of devices that were once assigned to a CVD; your device should be there. Select it and the disk content will be restored.

Assuming you did not centralize drives other than the system drive (C:), and that the old drive is connected as additional one (like D:), there should be no problem - the D: drive will not be harmed.

• 3. Re: Migrate, or Restore to replacement device?
              jseth Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. I did do the Disaster Recovery, then Replace Hard Disk, and it worked perfectly. Our user was very pleased with the result.