VMware Communities
ptfuzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

.vmx file is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

hi, as title says i have this error when opening virtual machine. is there any simple way to solve it?

.vmx file is empty, showing 0kb.

i have included all the log files in the folder.

i hope it's the necessary to run the machine, as it's currently used to do some work.

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "Windows_XP_Home_Edition.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP Home Edition.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Player closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "Windows_XP_Home_Edition.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP Home Edition.vmx" file with the one here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
145 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "Windows_XP_Home_Edition.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP Home Edition.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Player closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "Windows_XP_Home_Edition.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP Home Edition.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
ptfuzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok i will check on pc and then i will give proper feedback.

thanks Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ptfuzi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well, it works fine now!

thanks WoodyZ

Topoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woodz,

can you help me too? I am with the same problem. I did it by myself (link below) but after that another warning was "VMX file is corrupt". I checked all file parameter but didn't find error. Please, help me, see .log attached.

VMDK-Handbook-Basics

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Topoh wrote:  can you help me too? I am with the same problem. I did it by myself (link below) but after that another warning was "VMX file is corrupt". I checked all file parameter but didn't find error. Please, help me, see .log attached.

The attached "Windows_7_x64.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows 7 x64.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "Windows_7_x64.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows 7 x64.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
Topoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

thank you very much! It works !

0 Kudos
mtariq_amin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am getting the same error...Attached are my log files...please help..

Regards,

Tariq

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

mtariq_amin wrote: I am getting the same error...Attached are my log files...please help..

The attached "VM9_W732_BLANK.vmx.zip" file contains a new "VM9_W732_BLANK.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Player closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "VM9_W732_BLANK.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "VM9_W732_BLANK.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
mtariq_amin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dear its working now...:)

0 Kudos
Curvenut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wood ,

I got the exact same error ,

could you please help me ?

I attach the log files.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Curvenut wrote:

Hi Wood ,

I got the exact same error ,

could you please help me ?

I attach the log files.

The attached "Windows_7_x64_(Tier0).vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows 7 x64 (Tier0).vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Workstation (or the target VM's tab) closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "Windows_7_x64_(Tier0).vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows 7 x64 (Tier0).vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
Curvenut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot woodyz !!

0 Kudos
JoeyKInWJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

What steps are you taking to repair these cases?  I am in a similar spot, but would like to know an effective way of resolving things by myself.

JoeyKInWJ

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

JoeyKInWJ wrote: WoodyZ, What steps are you taking to repair these cases?  I am in a similar spot, but would like to know an effective way of resolving things by myself.

When a VM is run, the .vmx configuration file is logged into the vmware.log file.  The .vmx file I provide is programmatically extracted from the supplied vmware.log file, zipped and ready to upload with the customized reply, also created programmatically. I then copy an paste the reply and attach the .zip file to a reply. The original source code for the extraction is from a perl script in this thread.  Although the code in the link is no longer applicable to the latest releases and a couple previous version too.  I had to modify the original code to handle the format changes when VMware made a change in their logging.

0 Kudos
JoeyKInWJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the note.  If you wouldn't mind assisting me as well I would be greatly appreciative.  I have attached a .zip file with the log files.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

JoeyKInWJ wrote: Thanks for the note.  If you wouldn't mind assisting me as well I would be greatly appreciative.  I have attached a .zip file with the log files.

The attached "SQL_2014_(192.168.245.131)_-_Windows_Server_2012_R2_Standard_x64.vmx.zip" file contains a new "SQL 2014 (192.168.245.131) - Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard x64.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Workstation (or the target VM's tab) closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "SQL_2014_(192.168.245.131)_-_Windows_Server_2012_R2_Standard_x64.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "SQL 2014 (192.168.245.131) - Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard x64.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
JoeyKInWJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

Greatly appreciated.  It worked like a champ.

Thank you very much.

JoeyKInWJ

0 Kudos
JesusMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wood,

I got the exact same error, could you please help me? Thanks in advance.

Have a good day.

Regards.

I attach the log files.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

JesusMorales wrote:   I got the exact same error, could you please help me? Thanks in advance.

Have a good day.

Regards.

I attach the log files.

The attached "CUCM_8.6.vmx.zip" file contains a new "CUCM 8.6.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Workstation (or the target VM's tab) closed, unzip (double-click) the downloaded attached "CUCM_8.6.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "CUCM 8.6.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos