VMware Communities
avin
Contributor
Contributor

workstation 10 not enough physical memory

I get the following error message when trying to open a second VM:

"Not enough physical memory is available to power o this virtual machine with its configured settings.

To fix his problem' power off other virtual machines, decrease the memory size of this virtual machine to 7752 MB, or adjust the additional memory settings to allow more virtual machine memory to be swapped."

Host runs 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 with 24 GB.

VMware Workstation 10.0.1 build-1379776

VMWare memory preferences are: Reserved Memory 16,400 (out of 24,568), "Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM".

First VM has 8192 MB memory. The VM I'm trying to open also has 8192 MB.

Windows Task Manger shows 14,880 MB free.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Can you try this: (from this kb: VMware KB: After installing Windows 7 SP1, VMware Workstation reports the error: Not enough physical...

Add a setting to the config file to restrict Workstation to using a percentage of the host's available RAM:

1. Shut down all running virtual machines and exit Workstation.
  2. Open the config.ini file located at C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation.
  3. Add this line to the file:
    vmmon.disableHostParameters = TRUE
  4. Save and close the file.
  5. Restart Windows.
Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, avin

For your reference of my point of view as below:

here you set "Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM" which means the memory of each VM you created should be limited by this value, "16400" in your case. VM will failed to start up if the configured memory is over this value.

the key problem you get this error, is because your real physical memory is not supported two vm with 8192 memory if you don't enable swap for some VM since only 14880 left.

Please fix your issue as the prompted information to permit some VM use swap under "Edit---Preference---memory" or decrease vm memory to make the total memory of all running VMs is lower than what your host permitted 14880M.

Hope this is helpful

Regards

0 Kudos