VMware Cloud Community
rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

different networks on 1 vSphere host (need to create a new vm-network?)

Hello,

I had problems of loosing connection on a vsphere host. the two network adapter were connected to different networks.

From the moment I created a second VM Network and located one of two existing network adapters into the new created VM Network,

it worked fine. My earlier configuration was, I had both network adapters on the same VM Network and had connection errors.

I need to use the virtual machine as LAN-Router.

Is is correct what I assume, that I need for each network a own VM Network on my vsphere host ?

Kind regards,

Roland

vm-network.jpg

N

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If both your network cards work at different networks and you want a vm to talk to both networks what you have done looks correct. By putting two network cards and adding them to different switches which have their own adapters you will be able to communicate to both networks.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had both networks card connected to one vSwitch (vSwitch0).

(had connecting errors)

So 2 vSwitches on one VM Network should be sufficient, correct ?

Kind regards,

Roland

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Actually you can put them on same switch too. As far as your vm is performing as expected it should be fine

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had connecting errors putting both network cards on one vSwitch.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What was the error? This configuration you Now have should be good.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Add a Virtual Machine Port Group

Virtual machine port groups provide networking for virtual machines.

Procedure

1 Log in to the vSphere Client and select the host from the inventory panel.

2 Click the Configuration tab and click Networking.

3 Select the Virtual Switch view.

vSwitches appear in an overview that includes a details layout.

4 On the right side of the page, click Add Networking.

5 Accept the default connection type, Virtual Machines, and click Next.

6 Select Create a virtual switch or one of the listed existing vSwitches and the associated physical adapters to use for this port group.

You can create a new vSwitch with or without Ethernet adapters.

If you create a vSwitch without physical network adapters, all traffic on that vSwitch is confined to that vSwitch. No other hosts on the physical network or        virtual machines on other vSwitches can send or receive traffic over this vSwitch. You might create a vSwitch without physical network adapters if you   want a group of virtual machines to be able to communicate with each other, but not with other hosts or with virtual machines outside the group.

7 Click Next.

8 In the Port Group Properties group, enter a network label that identifies the port group that you are creating.

Use network labels to identify migration-compatible connections common to two or more hosts.

9 (Optional) If you are using a VLAN, for VLAN ID, enter a number between 1 and 4094. If you are not using a VLAN, leave this blank.

If you enter 0 or leave the option blank, the port group can see only untagged (non-VLAN) traffic. If you enter 4095, the port group can see traffic on any      VLAN while leaving the VLAN tags intact.

10 Click Next.

11 After you determine that the vSwitch is configured correctly, click Finish.

rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Abhilash schrieb:

What was the error? This configuration you Now have should be good.

error.jpg

error message was "uplink redundancy on virtual switch0 is not available.

physical network card vmnic1 is not available. Affected port groups are management network"

(message is in german)

Result was I could not connect to host by vsphere client

Since I have created a second vm network it works fine.

Kind regards,

Roland

this morning I have found the english version of mentioned Alert: Alert Network uplink redundancy lost vcenter.schreiber.me 17.12.2013 16:55:03

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are both vmnics connected to the same VLAN on the physical switches? To me this looks like they are connected to different VLANs, i.e. access/untagged ports. If you want to use different VLANs on the same vSwitch, you need to configure the physical switch ports for 802.1Q (trunk/tagged) and set the appropriate VLAN ID on each of the virtual port groups.

André

0 Kudos
rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a.p. schrieb:

Are both vmnics connected to the same VLAN on the physical switches? To me this looks like they are connected to different VLANs, i.e. access/untagged ports. If you want to use different VLANs on the same vSwitch, you need to configure the physical switch ports for 802.1Q (trunk/tagged) and set the appropriate VLAN ID on each of the virtual port groups.

André

no different VLANs, VLAN ID is 0 untagged. Mentioned network cards are connected to two different physical L2 switches.

Kind regards,

Roland

0 Kudos