VMware Cloud Community
LaurenMalhoit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs showing up multiple times

Hey Guys,

Anyone know why I'm seeing VMs show up multiple times in vCOPS?  The only thing I could think of is that cloning might cause that...but I haven't been cloning.  Any thoughts?  vCOPS Enterprise 5.7

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It sounds like you're running a mirroring/replication solution such as SRM. vC Ops will pick up the placeholder VMs in a SRM scenario and populate them, causing the duplicate scenario you describe. Are you running SRM or a mirror/replication solution?

I'd like you to look at the resources using the Custom UI environmental pane. Check the vCenter IDs, "vm-", which will hint to you if it's a clone or not. Name is just name, you need to look at the unique vm- and UUIDs to see if there are any similarities and if so, what. Also, check the creation date column to see when they were added, this will tell you when any chance happened that caused the 'duplicated' resources.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

any FT/HA configurations...?

are you sure it's the same VM, and not another one with the same name Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LaurenMalhoit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No FT.  HA is configured for the cluster, but nothing beyond that.  It's definitely not a different VM.  If I click on the wrong one it looks like it's a powered off VM.  If you click on the right one it looks normal.

0 Kudos
RRock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On the vSphere UI or Custom side? I've seen VMs show up multiple times on the custom side UI in a lab space because I disconnected the vCenter and re-connected on multiple occations. vCOPS then creates a new VM object with a new ID, with the collection status = Not collecting.

Can you post a screenshot?

0 Kudos
LaurenMalhoit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's whenever I do a search for a VM in the vCOPS standard UI...not in the custom.  I'm afraid I'm not allowed to post a screen shot.  It having a new UUID makes sense.  I'm not sure why it would have a new UUID, though.  It's on the same vCenter server it's been on since I installed vCOPS.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It sounds like you're running a mirroring/replication solution such as SRM. vC Ops will pick up the placeholder VMs in a SRM scenario and populate them, causing the duplicate scenario you describe. Are you running SRM or a mirror/replication solution?

I'd like you to look at the resources using the Custom UI environmental pane. Check the vCenter IDs, "vm-", which will hint to you if it's a clone or not. Name is just name, you need to look at the unique vm- and UUIDs to see if there are any similarities and if so, what. Also, check the creation date column to see when they were added, this will tell you when any chance happened that caused the 'duplicated' resources.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
LaurenMalhoit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you hit the nail on the head Mark!  Makes sense to me.  It would be nice if vCOPS could recognize they are "dummy" vms. 

0 Kudos