VMware Cloud Community
thinds66
Contributor
Contributor

Java Apps appear half width in VMs accessed through RDP

Hello,

I created a Win7x64 VM and installed Java on it (currently build 1.7.0_45-b18).

When I access the VM through VCD under FireFox, and then open the Java Control Panel (or run a Java app), everything looks fine.

But, if I access the VM through RDP and then open the Java Control Panel (or run a Java app), the app is squished horizontally to occupy only the first half of the area, and it has a green background.

Here's an example:

http://i.imgur.com/laNG53C.jpg

I've changed the resolution settings in the VM from upwards of 1920x1080 down through 1024x768 with the same results.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Java.

Has anyone else encountered this or have a suggestion on correcting it?

Thanks in advance for any help,

- Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
thinds66
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that info.

Your first link looks a bit like what's going on.

Based on this, in the RDP file I set the "session bpp:i:" to 15 and the Java control panel opened with the appropriate width, but of course everything onscreen was very grainy. Any other setting resulted in Java control panel and apps opening at half width. I'll keep poking.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

if the VMRC works fine, but RDP doesn't ... I don't think the RDP driver leverages much of the video controller, and it's a whole lotta windows.  I guess that's a fancy way of saying I don't think it's a VMware based issue.

0 Kudos
EAP68
Contributor
Contributor

After troubleshooting on two systems (one that worked ok, and one that has this issue), I realized that the VIDEO CARD settings where different on the non working system. 

By unchecking ENABLE 3D SUPPORT under VIDEO CARD - 3D GRAPHICS, this issue was resolved for me.

0 Kudos