VMware Horizon Community
pmxsmorley
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp TightVNC Server

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had managed to ThinApp TightVNC server?

I have rolled out a windows 7 version to a virtual desktop and get all of the icons that I need.

VNC viewer comes up fine, and I can even use the viewer from a virtual desktop to connect to my reference VM where TightVNC is installed (installed locally).

When I run VNC server (the thinapp version), it shows the icon in the system tray and also the IP address of the VMware View VDI VM, but when I try to connect to the VM via a thinapped viewer it prompts for the password but then nothing happens, and I eventually get the connection was gracefully shutdown.

The scenario is, we have a wallboard which comes from a desktop pool via a thinclient, and we need multiple users to be able to access the wallboard without killing the session on screen.

I didn't want to hard install VNC Server on to the desktop image because another pool uses the same image, and I also didnt want to create a separate desktop image (because that means its another desktop I have to keep up to date with patches), so the idea was to thinapp VNC server, run it, and then users could connect to it via the thinapp VNC Viewer (with AD rights applied).

The problem I think we have is that the thinapp version of VNC Server doesnt install the TightVNC Server service in to windows and that might be the issue, despite me being able to telnet to the port that VNC is using (5900)...

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies