VMware Cloud Community
anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to add new menu item in the vCAC selfservice portal

How to add new menu item in the vCAC selfservice portal and respective web pages for the menu items?

Is there any framework for that.

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi anuragvr,

One can add menu items to VMs provisioned by vCAC, but only in order of them to execute further vCAC workflows.
these cannot be used to open new web pages (out of the box).

if you want to prompt a user for specific parameters for that menu workflow, you should do it at request time with the help of custom properties and property dictionary

0 Kudos
anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, my requirement is the similar line. Actually I want to add Menu items just like existing menu item “My Resources” in vCAC self-service portal.  As “My Resources” menu have its menu items “My Machine” , “Pending Request” .. in the same manner I have to create another menu item for me. When user click on any of the menu item it should open pop-up/ page for input parameters with submit button, after filling the required inputs and clicking on submit button workflow should be call.

Please let me know how I can do this or where I can find the way to add new menu item.

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vCAC website / web interface is written in ASP .NET. This is not customizable. Rather, it supports extensibility by replacing pages, as opposed to modifying existing pages. The reason for this approach is to maintain an upgrade path, so that changes are not overwritten upon upgrading.

The redirection from the original page is configured in the main site’s web.config file by the following line:

<redirections type="DynamicOps.Integration.Common.Web.RedirectionConfigSection, DynamicOps.Integration.Common.Web.RedirectionModule">

<add targetUrl="^~/Leases/ConfirmNewRequest.aspx" destinationUrl="~/Leases/SF.SSC.Redirector.aspx" />

Note: This was written for vCAC's 5.1 version predecessor (DynamicOps ver 4.5), but addresses how I've seen portal customizations made (via redirects)-  perhaps a vCAC extensibility expert can clarify further?

0 Kudos
anuragvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi zebduin,

Thanks for valuable inputs, as you said vCAC web interface could not be customizable but extensible by replacing pages with new. I am not understand this, what is the difference between these two and why it is not possible to customize because replacing new page having one extra button or menu is almost  same as modifying existing page. Why we could not add another menu item or button in existing pages, please put more light on this.

Suppose I replace existing page with new page, new page having one additional menu item for new functionality.  When user select new menu item it will perform some action / trigger work flow, how I can implement this.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From an upgrade path perspective a redirect is much easier to reapply then trying to modify the core code.  I'm not an extensibility expert, and perhaps if one reads this, they  can add their perspective.  While working along side vCAC extensibility resources entrenched in the CDK- this is the route they take.

0 Kudos