VMware Horizon Community
mcrampton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Display settings greyed out, nothing works to make them editable by users

Hi, we have a View 5.2 deployment with Win 7 desktops. In our VM's, the settings to make text larger & smaller, as well as any advanced display settings are all greyed out. I looked at the article here: VMware KB: Settings tab is not available in the display control panel of a View desktop in local mod... and followed the steps. The policy is applying (I can see this by using RSOP.msc) however the items remain greyed out. I even tried modifying the registry key at  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispCPL to a value of 0 and rebooting, however when I reboot the machine the key value has been set back to 1.

So, obviously there is a policy somewhere that is doing this, does anyone have any idea of what group policy could affect this registry key? It could be a generic group policy, not necessarily the VMware one. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peteisneat
Contributor
Contributor

Howdy - did you ever figure this out?  We're having the same problem.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Those settings are controlled through the View admin console.  I have not tried, but I am not sure you can edit them outside of the pool settings for the entire pool.

0 Kudos
loganhsmith2012
Contributor
Contributor

This may not be a direct answer to your question, but you can use version 3.5 of the Horizon client with a registry tweak to pass the DPI scaling settings of the local machine to the View session.  This assumes you have a Windows endpoint and it's DPI setting is > 100% (i.e. 125% or 150%), but it's a handy option if it applies to you.  Here is the .reg key that we import to enable the pass-through:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client]
"installed"=dword:00000001
"DesktopShortcut"=dword:00000001
"EnableSessionDPIScaling"=dword:00000001

0 Kudos