VMware Cloud Community
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrate Exchange 2010 Virtual Machine from one host to another

Dear Members,

Please advise if migrating a virtual machine for Exchange 2010 is supported from one Esxi host to another, the version of Esxi is 5.0.

There is single exchange in environment with HUB, CAS and Mailbox role on same virtual server. We have a maitenance window and we are thinking to move exchange VM from one host to another but before this I need to be sure if it is supported my MS and don't want to run into problems after, because I also came to know here in forums that snapshot for Exchange 2010 is not supported by MS.

Please advise.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any limitations with migrating Exchange VMs. Anyway, you may consider to run the migration during low workload.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Wajeeh,

Are both the hosts managed by a vCenter or are they standalone hosts?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

They are under a VCenter which is running on one of the host. Like presently it is like this:

V-Center (virtual is on host 1)

Exchange 2010 ( it is on host2)

Domain controller Win 2008 R2 (on host2)

Additional Domain controller Win 2008 R2 (on host2)

So now for maintenance of fiber cable re-arrangement on host 2, exchange 2010 needs to be moved to host1, then once fiber cable re-arrangement done for host, Vcenter and exchange 2010 again needs to be moved to host 2.

Please let me know if any kind of further details are required.

Thanks

PLEASE NOTE: There is no physical V_Center server

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming the hosts are configured identically (i.e. access to the same storage LUNs, same networking, ...) and with vMotion in place, you can simply migrate the VM's (even online).Btw. I'd consider to always run the DC's on different hosts to ensure one stays up in case of a hardware failure.

André

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are these hosts configured for vmotion? If yes, then you can migrate them from host2 to host1 using  vmotion like André mentioned.

If not,

You can refer this VMware vSphere 5.1

Let us know if you need any more info Smiley Happy

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Andr'e,

Yes, the two hosts are configured for HA and there is IP for vmotion. The two have access to same storage LUNS and are on same network. So I can do migration live when virtual machine are online. I was just confirming due to exchange 2010 because it is crucial for organization that's the reason I asked to know if any limitations for exchange vmotion live. So with the setup in place I can go ahead with exchange?

I agree DC and additional DC should be on two hosts. I will do that.

Dear Abhilash,

The two are configured for vmotion. So I can also vmotion the virtual v-center?

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you can do it. But in your case you want to put the host2 in maintenance  right? vCenter is on host1 anyway. But the answer is yes you can do it.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any limitations with migrating Exchange VMs. Anyway, you may consider to run the migration during low workload.

André

0 Kudos
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, first host2 will be in maintenence and then host1 to re-arrange cables for host1, anything else you want to advise?

0 Kudos
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I will consider to do this during lower work load time

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Same goes  for vCenter too. Do it during off hours so you don't run in connectivity issues. 

Abhilash B

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if the HA is configured between two hosts then you can perform live migration of Exchange 2010. The Exchange 2010 VM will migrated to another host without any downtime and performance issue.

Just make sure a separate VSwitch shpuld be there to perform VMotion and Storage VMotion.

Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In our case there is only vmotion of machine and no storage vmotion.

0 Kudos