VMware Communities
mtnson179
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion on OSX Mavericks Mouse Problems

Our office has 3 Macs running Mavericks and Windows 7 through Fusion 5.  We upgraded to Mavericks from Mountain Lion last week.  Since the upgrade we have been having trouble with erratic mouse behavior.  Under Fusion the mouse has a tendency to turn single clicks into double clicks some times but not others and it happens with all three buttons (right, left and scroll) on the mouse.  It happens in all programs but it is particularly noticeable in Datacad where accurate clicking is imperative.  I have tried several different mouse profiles and settings to no avail.  Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution?

Thanks,

Nathan

33 Replies
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've noticed the same thing on my machine since upgrading to Mavericks.  I spend most of my day developing in the Fusion VM and the mouse is annoyingly erratic,  often double clicking or even triple clicking.

My suspicion is that it's Mavericks as there's quite a bit of chatter on 't intarwebs.  I've also had issues with Firefox loosing it's scrolling abilities.

I hope that other regular users of Mavericks/VMWare will also notice this and we can get something done about it.

0 Kudos
mtnson179
Contributor
Contributor

Some more info on the problem:

We have tried several different mice.  A couple wireless mice one being a Logitech M510 and also a trusty wired generic Microsoft mouse.  All three exhibit the same behavior.  This is turning into a real problem for us and has slowed our work pace considerably.  I does appear that we are not the only ones experiencing this so not an isolated event.

GlennyG: I saw your thread after I posted mine.  Hopefully two threads on the same topic can't hurt.

Nathan

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm still smarting at buying a new Magic Mouse as I thought the hardware was broken:-(

In a good way I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

I tend to use one VM for the development:  Windows 2003 server.  You're seeing this with Windows 7,  so this tends to rule out the OS in the VM.

I'm using VMWare Fusion 5.03 as I can't see any reason to pay VMWare for a minor service pack upgrade after paying them for the feature-free 4 to 5 'upgrade' less than a year ago (26th November).

0 Kudos
JBona
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with Mavericks and VMware Fusion 6.0.2.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's good to know it's not just 5.

Now comes the $64,000 question;  if it's Fusion,  will VMWare fix it in 5,  or will they just add it to the meagre feature list of 6?

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

same problem here. VMware PLEASE do something about that.

0 Kudos
mbuster
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto. I use my VM as a development platform, and these unintended double clicks will soon make my neck explode.

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK, people, please check this for me: With guest running on fusion 6.02 update the vmware-tools inside the guest where it´s happening to the 6.02 tools release. Then go to Mac system prefs / mouse / and disable the secondary click. Please report your results. It is not completely gone but i have the feeling it got better. Others please?

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

forget it, it still happens. sometimes more, sometimes less...

VMware please HELP!

0 Kudos
mtnson179
Contributor
Contributor

I have discovered one other odd behavior related to my original problem.  When I am working fast in Datacad and I get a couple unintended double clicks in a row I briefly see the Mac pinwheel.  I have never seen the pinwheel before now, when working in Windows.  I have no clue what that might indicate but I thought it might be helpful for anyone who has a better understanding.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what it's worth,  I'm also suffering problems with Firefox/Mac where it sometimes stops scrolling.  This has *never* happened prior to the Mavericks upgrade.  Googling for this shows a lot of chatter.

Not that I'm one to let VMWare off the hook,  but I have my suspicion that it's Mavericks related.

However,  as a VMWare 5 user,  I expect to see a year's support from VMWare when they have the fix.

0 Kudos
mtnson179
Contributor
Contributor

A couple more observations:

It appears that if I slow my mousework down and really focus on stopping the mouse before clicking then the extra clicks don't happen.  This isn't really a solution as it really slows things down when working in any CAD programs.  Just another piece in the puzzle.

I also think it is Mavericks related since the problems started when we upgraded.  But our problems seem to only be showing up in Fusion.  So who's problem is it to fix?  If you talk to VMware they will say its Apple's fault and if you talk to Apple they will say its VMware's fault.  What we need is a solution, not finger pointing.

I am also disappointed that we have only been running Fusion for 6 months and it is already completely unsupported.  How is that a good product?

joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Jou. You are right, if you slow the mouse really down before pressing a button this phenomenon becomes less likely. And i also agree it´s something that came with Mavericks. But i don´t think it is Apple to blame, because a) Mavericks itself is working very well and there are no mouse double-click problems (afaik) and b) VMware had plenty of time during the Mavericks development phase beta to test, troubleshoot and cure this problem. Thus, i expect VMware to solve that one fast because it really eats my nerves. Serendipitously my magic mouse is still alive and even it has no guilt at all i wonder how long till i´ll bite it, rip it apart and then throw it out of the window 😉

0 Kudos
mtnson179
Contributor
Contributor

This is still a problem.  As far as I can tell nothing has been done to remedy it.  Does VMware ever read their forums?

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I succumbed and upgraded from Fusion 5 to Fusion 6.02.

IT IS STILL BROKEN.  Along with a host of new things that Fusion 6 has broken (for me full screen + Unity).

I'm currently trying to get my Fusion 5 license back from VMWare -- and a refund! -- so I can upgrade from Fusion 6 to Fusion 5.

0 Kudos
mtnson179
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry I did not post this sooner but I think I have found a solution.  We downloaded and installed the mac OSX drivers for our Logitech mice and my trusty Microsoft Intellipoint.  It completely fixed the unintentional double clicks and only took a little adjusting to get the tracking speed and scroll speeds to where we like them.  Make sure to get the latest drivers as they seem to be the only ones with the fix (whatever that might be).

0 Kudos
Delvig
Contributor
Contributor

I Have been having unintentional double clicks in Win7 under the latest VMWare, I think since upgrading to Mavericks.  The problem persist with a brand new MacBook Pro.

I notice the problem most in MS Outlook, but that where I spend mist of my mouse clicks.

I also seem to get unintentional mouse releases or clicks when gliding over a drop-down menu, such as the snooze duration on an outlook reminder.

Help!

0 Kudos
Delvig
Contributor
Contributor

Also... Same problem with two different Apple Magic Mouses

0 Kudos
royfox
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Yep, same issue with my mouse and I have to say, it's REALLY annoying.

Win 7 with Fusion 6.02, tried two apple magic mice, both with the same problems

I've also noticed two other issues since updating to Mavericks.

1. Highlighting then copy or cut is a nightmare

2. I'm having MAJOR slow downs when doing simple things such as merging folders on the Win desktop.. even if there is only a few Kbs in the folders. I'm getting the spinning wheel a lot.

0 Kudos