VMware Communities
samurite
Contributor
Contributor

Recover a VM from a failed VMWare Server onto VMWare Workstation

Hi all,

I had a VMWare Server machine that died. Horribly. There was smoke.

I need to restore a VM from that machine onto VMWare Workstation.

I managed to get the files for the VM off of it so I now have the folder that had all of the files (vmdk, vmx, vmsn, vmsd etc)

I don't have another suitable server to get VMWare Server back up and running so I'm trying to use VMWare Workstation instead.

I do not know the verison of VMWare Server that was on the old server. I might be able to find out if it becomes a problem.

VMWare Workstation is v10

So, Opening up the VMX file and it seems to load up the configuration ok. But I can't power on the server.

I get the message: "Failed to lock the file. Cannot open the disk 'c:\vms\ubuntu\ubuntu-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. Module DiskEarly power on failed. Failed to start the Virtual Machine".

Ok, so we have a snapshot it would seem. There is indeed the files "ubuntu.vmdk" and a "ubunti-000001.vmdk" as well as "ubuntu.vmsd" and "ubuntu-snapshot14.vmsn".

So, how do I get this sorted? I can't do anything with the snapshots on the old server because it's dead.

I'll attach a screenshot of the folder with the files in.

Cheers in advance for your help,

Sam Hobday

vmware.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
samurite
Contributor
Contributor

well, never mind, that was simple.

I just deleted all of the previous status information leaving just the 5 files "ubuntu.vmdk", "ubuntu.vmsd", "ubuntu.vmx", "ubuntu-000001.vmdk" and "ubuntu-Snapshot14.vsmn".

Works fine now.

0 Kudos