8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 4:32 AM by kotajarvi

how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine

johnlumby Novice

I have an old Windows NT4 partition that I wanted to set up as a virtual machine.     I did so and everything went smoothly and I can boot it as a virtual machine - and installed vmtools - but there is no AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter present.    There is no real PCnet adapter on the machine and so there was no PCnet driver installed originally;   but on other Windows virtual machines, vmtools installed the driver and the adapter appeared without my having to do anything.   I was hoping that installing vmtools would automatically create the virtual PCnet ethernet adapter.

I see this problem mentioned in one of the vmware docs:

"Windows NT4 Ethernet Adapter Not Migrated Correctly -- If your virtual

machine or system image does not have an AMD PCnet-PCI-II compatible Ethernet

adapter, it can migrate improperly.

Workaround: After you import a Windows NT4 virtual machine, install a new virtual

Ethernet adapter, and then install VMware Tools. "

I tried this using two different sources for the adapter driver, and re-installing vmtools with "repair" option after each one, and neither worked:

.  the AMD PCnet driver provided with Windows NT -

after vmtools and reboot, ctlPanel->"Devices" shows device as "automatic"

and when I try to start it - "file missing" and won't start

.  the AMD PCnetHL driver from AMD download site -

after vmtools and reboot, ctlPanel->"Devices" shows device as "automatic"

and when I try to start it - "Device is not functioning" and won't start

Does anyone else have a working virtual PCnet Ethernet adapter under Win NT4?      That I could get from you?   Or is there any other ethernet adapater that I could get working in a virtual WinNT4?     Also I'm curious - on Win2K, where does vmtools get the adapter driver from?   Is it somewhere buried in the vmware distrib and I could get it off that?

• 1. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
          KevinG Guru

Have you tried the following steps listed in the Guest Operating System Installation Guide?

Enabling Networking After Installing Windows NT:

If networking was disabled at the time you installed Windows NT, you can enable it after installing the operating system. Shut down Windows NT and power off the virtual machine. Add the network adapter to the virtual machine’s configuration, and then follow the instructions below to install the network driver in the Windows NT guest operating system.

1  Power on the virtual machine.

2  While Windows NT is booting, insert the Windows NT 4.0 CD in the CD-ROM drive.

3  Log on to Windows NT and install the AMD PCNET driver:

a  Open the Network properties page by double-clicking the Network icon in Control Panel. Change to the Network Adapters screen by clicking the Adapters tab.

b  Click the Add button and select the AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter from the list.

c  A message pops up prompting you to enter a path for the Windows NT files. Specify the \i386 folder on the CD in the path you enter (for example, type D:\i386 if the CD is in drive D) and click Continue.

d  Windows NT setup prompts you for the Windows NT files again. Click Continue.

e  Use the default adapter settings; they do not need to be changed. Windows NT setup prompts you again for a path to the Windows NT files. Click Continue to finish installing the driver.

• 2. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
            johnlumby Novice

Thank-you Kevin.    Yes, I did try that and it didn't work.   Actually I tried it twice - once with the path F:\i386 (as you suggested) which failed immediately with an error popup "OEMSETUP.INF or OEMSETNT.INF not found", and then with the path F:  (i.e. the root of the WinNT4 CD) which appeared to work in that it proceeded through the install of the adapter driver and the adapter showed up in the network adapter list etc - but this was the case I reported in my original append, where the actual device would not start - failed with "files missing".

However - you gave me an idea - to try to find the driver files in the vmware vmtools install.    And I did.

I mounted the  vmware isoimage:

.../vmware-server-distrib/lib/isoimages/windows.iso

as my virtual CDRom, and then ran a search for OEMSETUP.INF - and it showed up in

F:\program files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vmxnet\winnt

I then tried once more adding the AMD PCnet adapter but pointing the "Have Disk" path to the above path - and bingo - it took it, and on reboot the device was there and started and working.

THANKS and if there is anyone else out there struggling with getting an ethernet adapter working in virtual NT4 - This is how!

One comment is that there is a bit of a contradiction in that, when identifying the adapter to be added ,  you select the regular AMD PCnet adapter from the list that the network window presents, but when it asks for the path for the files, you point it at the vmware vmxnet adapter - which is (I assume) a different adapter.      Do not be deterred!  It works!

In the network and devices windows, it is identified as "Vmware Virtual ethernet adapter"

but in ipconfig it shows up as "Vmware Accelerated AMD PCnet adapter"  !!

(And - don't forget to disable it in the non-virtual hardware profile)

John

• 3. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
              neko69 Lurker

Thanks johnlumby !

Your way works perfect for me on three Windows NT 4.0 guest machines

wich I imported from acronis image to VMWARE server 1.0

• 4. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
                PWILSON Enthusiast

Works for me too!! Great job! Thanks for the detailed instructions

• 5. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
                  gmadden Lurker

Thanks John!

Your advice helped alot.

I needed to download the NT drivers from the AMD site however. Others may find this URL useful:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_6629_2403\^241524542486,00.html

cheers,

Gregor

• 7. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
                    ngrakesh Lurker

It really worked for me as well.

I was struggling for this issue since weeks. Its very simple. Just need to run VMWare Tools. It will automatically install drivers and says to restart the os. thankx again for your help

• 8. Re: how to install a AMD PCnet Ethernet adapter in virtual WinNT4 machine
                      kotajarvi Lurker

I'm working with Workstation 4 and unfortunately the windows.iso included in this package does not include the oemsetup.inf file. I too will need to manually install the driver from AMD's site.