VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter 5.5 architecture

When I was building a vSphere 5.1 environment. The prevailing recommendation seemed to be to install SSO and vCenter on seperate servers. Some recommendations were based on environment size while other physical seperation seemed based more on seperating this young, essentially v1.0 product from the other core vCenter services. As I look at planning a new vSphere 5.5 environment I am seeing slightly different recommendations. Most seem to suggest keeping vCenter and SSO on the same VM. I wanted to make sure this is now the prevailing wisdom and what (if any) types of environments would seperation still be preferred. I'm looking for the appropriate architecture for this environment. A couple vCenters instances, 100 Hosts, 2000-3000 VMs.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

its really down to preference, at the recent vforum i was up close and personal to some smart cookies from VMware and I was told SSO and vCenter are designed to run on the same host together and the recommendation is to keep them together. One of the reasons not to is if you have multiple vCenters at a single site, then you can pull SSO out onto its own box and all vCenters connect into that, if this isnt the case no need to have them separate

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager

View solution in original post

3 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well yes, the latest recommendation seems to be to keep VC and SSO together. However, that's what it is: a "recommendation". You can keep them separate. Smiley Happy

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

its really down to preference, at the recent vforum i was up close and personal to some smart cookies from VMware and I was told SSO and vCenter are designed to run on the same host together and the recommendation is to keep them together. One of the reasons not to is if you have multiple vCenters at a single site, then you can pull SSO out onto its own box and all vCenters connect into that, if this isnt the case no need to have them separate

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies. That was my understanding.

0 Kudos