2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2006 5:30 PM by continuum RSS

769MB vmem file

jolson Novice

This morning my X session locked up and I had to manually kill it via ssh. When I restarted X and the vmware client it told me that my virtual machine was not currently running.

I know for a fact that the virtual machine was running before my X session locked up, and I could tell by my memory usage that it was still running.

I restarted my computer and noticed that there was still this file in /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional/

769MB Windows XP Professional.vmem

I decided to move it temporarily and attempt to run a virtual machine. Everything seemed to work ok.

Questions -

Why would me manually killing X via ssh make my vmware client believe that I had no virtual machines running?

Is the .vmem file necessary? Does it help with performance? Why didn't vmware create a new one when I started up my virtual machine with the .vmem file moved?

• 1. Re: 769MB vmem file
          Faustina Hot Shot

What vmware product are you using .

When you killed X all the virtual machines will also get killed in the workstation product.

The .vmem file is one of the snapshot files. This has the memory contents when you take a snapshot.

This file is not actively in use unless the relevant snapshot is opened. It has nothing to do with performance.

• 2. Re: 769MB vmem file
            continuum Guru User Moderators vExpert

The vmem file has nothing to do with snapshots.

It is the result of useing

mainMem.useNamedFile = "true"

in your configuration.

Set this to

mainMem.useNamedFile = "false"

if you don't like it.

If you don't have very fast host disks setting this to false can improve the performance a lot.