VMware Cloud Community
DyJohnnY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2012 R2 + Internet Explorer 11 = vSphere web client error

Hi,

I can't seem to be able to use the SSO function of vCenter web client 5.1 update 1b from Internet Explorer 11, that comes standard with Windows 2012 R2.

I have IE ESC turned off for admins on the server. I also have the web client server name into trusted sites. So I believe i'm doing everything right

I have also downloaded the client integration plugin from the vCenter and installed on the particular machine.

I get this message:

"This browser is not supported. Some features might not work correctly. A minimum of IE7, Firefox 9, or Chrome 14 on Windows or Linux is required. Read the vSphere Web Client help for details."

I can login, but i can't check the "use logged on user" checkbox, so I can't use SSO.

I tried this from Chrome, on the same machine, works without a problem. Documentation says, use IE 7 or later....am I missing something?

thanks,

ionut

IonutN
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

I haven't tried using IE11 myself, but I can't help thinking that this might have something to do with the changes MS made to user agent in IE11..

Does it work in Compatibility View?

More about the user agent changes here: Internet Explorer 11’s Many User-Agent Strings - IEInternals - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

/Rubeck

DyJohnnY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually the website was already in compatibility mode I think, since it runs on my "intranet" from IE's perspective.
Anyway, I tried with Compat. View on and off, message is the same, your browser is not supported...

IonutN
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I see... Well, it was  just a thought. 

Please update if you find a solution..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
DyJohnnY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware support confirms this is a bug. They're guessing next VMware patch will address this.

So Chrome and Firefox until next patch

IonutN
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks a bunch for updating, DyJohnnY... Very much appreciated indeed.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
CritAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any patch put out yet for this?  It is a minor but slightly annoying issue.

0 Kudos
PrakashKodali
Contributor
Contributor

On Windows 8.1 also, it is not working

0 Kudos
Howiedog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all, ok it is now April 29 2014. This message is still alive and well. Is there no patch for this yet?? Or...barring that, are Chrome and Firefox "fully" supported browser for this access, and if so what versions are recommended.??

Seeing how Internet Explorer from version 6 thru 11 are nothing but Swiss Cheese, it would make me extremely happy to NEVER use IE again...EVER. Not only that...IE compatibility mode is impossible to manage for the various sites I need to get to. What a sad excuse for a browser.

0 Kudos
glucaf79
Contributor
Contributor

i'm getting crazy with browsers... I notify firefox issues also.

I can't do multiple selection with shift or control key + click (and sometimes i need this function); but this function work with IE11

0 Kudos