VMware Cloud Community
Ruok2bu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is Tunneling Suported?

I want to use a VPS at another location to tunnel traffic to my server (for DDoS protection) and I was wondering if its possible with Hypervisor.

1. Is tunneling supported on the hypervisor console itself?  Or do the guest VMs need to be independently configured for the tunnel?
  2. Is GRE tunneling supported?  Is IPsec Tunneling support?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - It will depend on the VMs and as long as the guest OS supports IPSec.GRE are supported then yes it is supported -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - It will depend on the VMs and as long as the guest OS supports IPSec.GRE are supported then yes it is supported -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Ruok2bu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah cool, thanks Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please be aware of a known issue with ESXi 5.5: VMware KB: Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) connections may not work on ESXi 5.5

It should work, but currently if you use an e1000 virtual NIC on ESXi 5.5, it won't work.  Smiley Sad

Cheers,

--

Darius