VMware Cloud Community
cdhunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

External IP Addresses not pinging

Hi

I have an issue with some of my vApps in that they have an external IP Address assigned but I cannot ping them successfully (destination host unreachable).  Sounds like a routing issue but not sure where.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

First place I would check is firewall.

Guest firewall maybe, but the network firewall (vApp or Org) by default does not allow ping traffic in.  You have to create a rule to allow ICMP traffic (setting on type, TCP/UDP/ICMP).

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cdhunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Firewall is off (on local VM and on the Org).

Really puzzling as I have other vApps that are using the same Org Network and I can ping their external IP addresses fine.  😞

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just to clarify, is the Org Network direct to external or is it being routed through an Edge device? I'd also be curious if the VMs are able to ping the gateway, etc.

-Eric

0 Kudos
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have several ESXi servers in the back-end?

If yes, have you tried to move the vShield for that vApp (called vse-vAppNet-xxx) and the non-working VMs to the same host?

We had that issue when our VXLAN environment was not working properly. When the vse and the VMs were not on the same host, pings failed. When moving all the VMs and the vse of that particular vApp to one server, everything works fine.

0 Kudos