VMware Cloud Community
jocoll75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Screen resolution for VM's inside vCloud director.

I've been trying to figure out how to increase the screen resolution on my CentOS vm inside vCloud director. The resolution for my centos vm was maxed out at 1176 x 885. In Order to get a higher resolution on my vm, I had to increase the video memory for the vm. I wasn't able to add the video memory from inside vCloud director, I had to go to vCenter to increase the video memory. (right click on the vm, go to edit settings and select video card.) you will also see a video memory calculator to calculate the proper amount of memory for the resolution you desire. I know its a simple thing, but it took me a minute to figure this out. I figured I'd put it on the discussion board in the event that someone else needed or wanted this information.

Thanks,

J

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think video memory is exposed via the vCloud Director web UI.  We have a specific overhead value for calculation purposes, and video memory is included in that.

let me see if there is some workaround to this which doesn't require manual interaction in vCenter.

0 Kudos
mikgioia
Contributor
Contributor

Four years on.. I have an issue with this also...

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think this was ever exposed.  The default memory assignments are usually enough.  I think if you change them in vCenter, they should persist since everything is a clone or linked clone of the original.

I'm no longer with VMware, so I can't really look into this further from that side.    

0 Kudos