1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 8:38 AM by jseth

Base Layers and App Layers mobility

caddo Hot Shot

Is it possible to export Base Layers and App Layers form one Mirage deployment to another?

It feels silly to re-capture all Base and App Layers when you have already done it just because you don't have an export/import button... am i missing something here? Is there a way to do that?

• 1. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
          rtindall Enthusiast
          VMware Employees

Depending on what version of Mirage you are running you may have an option. 4.2 and later the tool needs to be updated to adjusted to the enhancements of the files and how they are handled, but the 4.0 versions of mirage appear capable of using the SIS Extract tool

• 2. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
            caddo Hot Shot

I don't understand how i can use it to export app layers. Anyone?

• 3. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
              rtindall Enthusiast
              VMware Employees

SIS Extract

1. Wanova.Server.Tools.exe SisExtract <server root\file path> <local path>

The utility can be used to extract the actual file’s data from SIS store. Parameters are:

• <server root> the directory that server keeps all the data (as configured in server’s config)
              • <file path> the path relative to server dir (e.g. 100\Machine\1\C\temp…)
              • <local path> the path that file’s data will be copied to

Base Image Export And Import 

In order to export a Base Image to an external location, run the following command line:

Usage: BaseImageExport [options] <root> <id> <version> <target>
              Options: -quiet           Eliminate the verbose output

• <root> the location of the mirage storage (by default C:\MirageStorage)
              • <id> the id of the base image
              • <version> major and minor version of the base image
              • <target> the location of the exported base image

In order to import a Base Image to the Mirage server, run the following command line: 

Usage:  BaseImageImport [options] <source> <sis root>
              Options: -quiet           Eliminate the verbose output

• <source> the location of the base image files to be imported into Mirage
              • <sis root> the location of the mirage storage (by default C:\MirageStorage)

Note that when importing the base image, the new Id might be different from the one it had when exported.

The reason is that when we import a base image, we set the id to the maximum id in the database plus one and the version to 1.0.

The files in the source directory indicate the old id and version (e.g.: \BI\3\2.13).

The imported base image will have all original base image's fields except for the name and the description which will be of the form “Imported Base Image: ” concatenated to the original name and description.

• 4. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                caddo Hot Shot

I tried with no luck.

Instructions are clear for base layer but i still don't think you can do it with app layers.

Anyone?

• 5. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                  rtindall Enthusiast
                  VMware Employees

the extraction methods do work for 4.0 and below, but have to be re-written and will be re-intorduced in Mirage 4.3,

• 6. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                    caddo Hot Shot

I briefly checked 4.3 documentation and i didn't see anything about it... is it there already?

• 7. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                      rtindall Enthusiast
                      VMware Employees

Does not look like that they have it documented at this time. As I see further information I will have to update the thread

• 8. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                        caddo Hot Shot

If you could provide some procedures (even if undocumented) it would be of great help.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates when you get any.

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                          rtindall Enthusiast
                          VMware Employees

It is important to note that ADS (Alternate Data Strams) is a requirement when moving any information in regards to Mirage and a utility such as WINRAR will be required to perform the compression aspects. Zip format will not work in these functions.

Export/Import Volume:

>"C:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server\Wanova.Server.Tools.exe" ExportVolume

Usage: ExportVolume

[Management Server address]

[volume name]

-cleanup (optional - to clean previously exported volume)

>"C:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server\Wanova.Server.Tools.exe" ImportVolume

Usage: ImportVolume

-serverAddress [Management Server address]

-sourceVolumePath [UNC path of the volume to mount]

-sourceVolumeName [Name for volume]

-collectionName [Name for a collection for the added CVDs.

Date will be added automatically]

-uploadPolicy [Upload policy for imported CVDs, example:

1 1.0]

-targetVolumeName [volume name] optional. volume ID to

import into, or don't specify for auto select

---------------------

EXPORT BL's/AL's

• Import/Export Base Layers and App Layers between completely different Horizon Mirage systems
                          • Export output is a folder hierarchy (not compressed or packaged)
                          • The output folder, if copied/moved, needs to preserve Alternate Data Streams (ADS).
                            Windows Robocopy, for example, preserves ADS when copying.
                            WinRAR, for example, preserves ADS when packaging/unpackaging.
                            Note that ZIP format doesn’t preserve ADS when packaging/unpackaging!

"C:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server\Wanova.Server.Tools.exe" ExportLayers

Usage: ExportLayers

-layersFile [layers .csv file. File Format:

LayerId,LayerVersion ]

File format example:

#LayerId,LayerVersion

-outputFolder

>"C:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server\Wanova.Server.Tools.exe" ImportLayers

Usage: ImportLayers

-sourceFolder

--------------------------------

Import and Export Driver Library

• Import/Export Driver Library (including profiles and folders) between completely different Horizon Mirage systems.
                          • The export format is a folder hierarchy (not compressed or packaged).

>"C:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server\Wanova.Server.Tools.exe" DriverLibraryCloner

Usage: DriverLibraryCloner

-serverAddress [Management Server Address]

-Path [full directory path]

-import         Import driver library and rules

-export         Export driver library and rules

• 10. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                            rtindall Enthusiast
                            VMware Employees

Please also note that during some testing we have found that FAT partitions are not capable of handling the file handling and that NTFS seems to work fine at this point in time. We found this when transferring a BL to a USB stick, it needed to be reformatted as the error did not appear for some time when using FAT.

• 11. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                              caddo Hot Shot

Thank you for updating this thread, i will give it a try as soon as possible.

• 12. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                                caddo Hot Shot

I tried today in all ways to export AL but i failed.

The real problem is that i can never understand what am i doing wrong because instead of giving me an error it just keep throwing at me the help of the command (the same you pasted in this thread).

I am using a test machine where i've created only one AL and the following is the command line i am using:

c:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server>Wanova.Server.Tools.exe ExportLayers -serverAddress 172.16.50.40 -layersFile export.csv -outputFolder d:\Export

i can confirm ID is 1 and version is 1.0; output volume is NTFS and the .csv file contains a single line with "1,1.0".

Any idea what i might be doing wrong?

• 13. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                                  rtindall Enthusiast
                                  VMware Employees

Have you tried the syntaxx as below?

c:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server>Wanova.Server.Tools.exe ExportLayers -172.16.50.40 export.csv -outputFolder 1,1.0 d:\Export

"C:\Program Files\Wanova\Mirage Management Server\Wanova.Server.Tools.exe" ExportLayers

Usage: ExportLayers

-layersFile [layers .csv file. File Format:

LayerId,LayerVersion ]

File format example:

#LayerId,LayerVersion

-outputFolder

• 14. Re: Base Layers and App Layers mobility
                                    caddo Hot Shot

No luck.

I'm trying several combinations but nothing seems to work, it just spits back out the help every time.

1 2 Previous Next