1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2017 7:31 PM by jamdev120

Decrease Disk Volume Size

vipes27 Enthusiast

I have a VM that I increased on the of the disk drives by 100GB temporarily, so that we could do an upgrade. I no longer need that volume at that size and I was wondering if I could decrease that volume by the 100GB and maybe even apply it on a different VM? These are both Windows 2008 servers.

• 1. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
          a.p. Guru
          Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

Unfortunately it's not possible to decrease the disk size easily. In order to do this you need to use the free Converter and do a volume based conversion, which allows you to define the target virtual disk size.

André

• 2. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
            a.p. Guru
            vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

... and maybe even apply it on a different VM?

Sorry, missed that. Are you talking about using the virtual disk with the current size for another VM? Yes that's possible, but you should move the virtual disk to the new VM's location/folder to avoid confusion in the future.

André

• 3. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
              vipes27 Enthusiast

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'd like to decrease the one volume by 100GB, as it's no longer needed and they use that 100GB of disk space to increase a volume on another VM.

• 4. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                a.p. Guru
                User ModeratorsvExpertCommunity Warriors

In this case you'll need to go with the Converter to reduce the disk size.

André

• 5. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                  vipes27 Enthusiast

Is the converter easy to use? I won't lose any data on the disk that I'm shrinking, will I?

• 6. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                    a.p. Guru

Yes, the Converter is very easy to use. Just ensure you select volume based (rather than disk based) conversion in the advanced settings for the target, to be able to change the disk size. You don't need to worry about issues, because the converter will create a copy of the VM without touching the source if you run it with the source VM powered off. This way you can always go back to the original VM in case the clone doesn't work as expected.

André

• 7. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                      vipes27 Enthusiast

Thanks. Do you know where I can download the converter? Does that need to be run on the VM I'm shrinking the volume of, the vSphere server, does it matter?

• 8. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                        a.p. Guru
                        Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

You can find the download link at  https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads

You may install the Converter on a PC or Server. You can then select the host on which the VM is located in the Converter's GUI. I'd suggest you run the conversion with the source VM powered off if you can afford the downtime.

André

• 9. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                          habanagold Lurker

Could someone please explain this in more detail or supply the information on how this is done? I have downloaded and installed the convertor and it is absolutely useless. Can't connect to any server running or not. Am I suppose to connect to the vCenter Server nodes to populate the list of virutual servers I have? Am I suppose to connect directly to the server I wish to change? What, where, why, how????????

This has to be easier that all of this. Where is the process??????

• 10. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                            TECH198 Enthusiast

Really ?  not possible to decrease size?

I find that a bit "one sided"

Although you can increase the size in vSphere, Edit settings, i fail to see why you can't decrease, since its a toggle up/down...

Seems VMare just didn't allow this, because the moment you loose focus, it goes back to how it was before... Thus, you probably must decrease via VConverter instead...

Did VMware do this on purpose, or is there a technical reason why it can't be decreased from vSphere GUI ?, since the option is there,, they just need to enable it to decrease in the GUI.

I'm guessing in VConverter you would choose 'remote machine' and enter the credentials of your ESXi server, then on the 'Summey' page, you can choose to decrease/or increase at will

• 11. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                              a.p. Guru

Well, think of it. Decreasing the disk size would also require to decrease the guest operating system's partition(s) on the disk, and - depending on where the data is located within the partitions - relocating the data. In order to do this, the Hypervisor would need to know the specifications all possible file systems.

André

• 12. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                                Mesi84 Lurker

Create a new vmdk disk with required size and attache it to the vm > boot using Acronis Disk Director > Move all the Volumes from the OLD Disk to the newly created one > Restart and booom machine is up with the new Disk.

• 13. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                                  dbutch1976 Hot Shot

I used the converter also.  It's too bad there isn't an easier method but, there is a whole lot more than just reducing disk size packed into this tool, so it's a pretty good method.

• 14. Re: Decrease Disk Volume Size
                                    mauriziotalpo Lurker

Create a new virtual disk (of the desired size), install a program like Partition Wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/) and copy the big disk into the small one.

To move (or copy) to another VM simply copy the vmdk file into the other VM directory and add it.

1 2 Previous Next