VMware Cloud Community
rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what is a custom VIB ? (I am preparing an 4.1 vSpere Host to upgrade to vSphere 5.5 Host)

Hello,

I am reading the upgrade guide of vSphere 5.5. Do not understand a certain chapter.

(see PDF or image attached)

What is a VIB ?

Will I run into problems upgrading vSphere 4.1 host to version 5.5 with my installed virtual machines ?

Kind regards,

Roland

question.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is a VIB ?

It is a just installation bundle which we use for installing the ESXi software, A custom VIB is given by third party vendors which includes their management software like (EMC Powerpath, HP management agents) which are included in ESXi ISO installation bundle.

More information on the VIB read What’s in a VIB? | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

There wont be any impact to the VM's but if ur existing ESXi host include any of the third party software included then it wont be upgrade with the ISO, In case if you have then you need to use a Cutomized ISO by injecting those software with the ESXi ISO with the help of image builder Using the vSphere ESXi Image Builder CLI | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
admin
Immortal
Immortal

rschmid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

aravinds3107 schrieb:

What is a VIB ?

It is a just installation bundle which we use for installing the ESXi software, A custom VIB is given by third party vendors which includes their management software like (EMC Powerpath, HP management agents) which are included in ESXi ISO installation bundle.

More information on the VIB read What’s in a VIB? | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

There wont be any impact to the VM's but if ur existing ESXi host include any of the third party software included then it wont be upgrade with the ISO, In case if you have then you need to use a Cutomized ISO by injecting those software with the ESXi ISO with the help of image builder Using the vSphere ESXi Image Builder CLI | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

I understand VIB are to deploy custom software packages to a big amount of virtual machines.
would it be useful to create custom installation bundles for a small amount of virtual machines and 1 or 2 ESXi hosts ?

Kind regards,

Roland

0 Kudos
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

custom VIB vary from person to person the purpose of this to customize the application on your chice .

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too."
0 Kudos