VMware Communities
serdev
Contributor
Contributor

safe to ignore vmware-vdiskmanager VixDiskLib: Invalid configuration file parameter

This is a newly occurring error message since upgrading to VMware Workstation 10, which we happened to encounter when running NrvrCommander.

Same code ran fine on same machines with VMware Workstation 9.

Disks were created fine despite the error message, even in VMware Workstation 10.

Possibly the "reason" or circumstances when it occurs is when creating a virtual disk in a directory that doesn't contain a virtual machine yet.

Specifically, when running vmware-vdiskmanager -c ... stderr output has been observed reading

VixDiskLib: Invalid configuration file parameter.  Failed to read configuration file.

while at the same time stdout ends with a line

Virtual disk creation successful.

and returncode is 0.

Our own code now detects and tolerates that specific error it gets from vmware-vdiskmanager.

Hoping this helps someone else.

Wishing the issue would go away in future versions of vmware-vdiskmanager.

4 Replies
punk79
Contributor
Contributor

I've encountered this error too while running vdisk-manager from the command line. In fact I've created a Windows Command script for this and the testing has gone well, except for the annoying error message "VixDiskLib: Invalid configuration file parameter.  Failed to read configuration file" - In my case, I'm converting a split disk to a single disk, this is all while in the same folder where the VMDKs, VMX and everything else associated with the virtual Machine are held, so.. I don't understand why the error is happening.

Is there a way to suppress this message completely

0 Kudos
DerekShaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

issue still arises with vix from vmware workstation pro 11.1.2 running on ubuntu 14.04.x

just resized a vmdk on an existing vm

vmware-vdiskmanager -x 65GB sysdrive.vmdk -t 0

VixDiskLib: Invalid configuration file parameter. Failed to read configuration file.

Grow: 100% done.

Disk expansion completed successfully.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workstation 12 addresses this issue by correcting the underlying condition which led to this spurious warning message.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dbaferoz
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is still there with 11.1.4 version on ubantu 16.4.... but its going good.

vmware-vdiskmanager -c -s 3gb -a lsilogic -t 4 "/home/abd/vmware/rac/sharedstorage/disk1.vmdk"

VixDiskLib: Invalid configuration file parameter. Failed to read configuration file.

Creating disk '/home/abd/vmware/rac/sharedstorage/disk1.vmdk'

Create: 100% done.

Virtual disk creation successful.

Thank you.

0 Kudos