VMware Cloud Community
CollinCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 5.5 Installation failing.

Hello Guys,

It's a brand new server with Windows 2008 R2 installed from scratch with all updates.  vCenter Single Sign-On, Web Client, and Inventory Service gets installed with no issues but during the installation of vCenter Server, it gives and error with the following message:

The wizard was interrupted before vmware vcenter could be completely installed. Refer to the log files vim-vci-msi.log.  I have also attached the log file it refers to.  I have already tried KB article 2013922 http://goo.gl/tTjBMQ but no change. I don't see anything obvious that could cause the installation to fail.  Thanks for your help.

2013-09-30_1420.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CollinCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to install the vCenter by disjoining the server from the domain and then logging in as local administrator account. Everything went smooth after that. I don't know why it didn't let me install when using the domain administrator account.

Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

Are you using "simple install" or "custom install" to install VC?

Please also attach "viminst.log" from %temp% directory.

0 Kudos
CollinCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried to install both ways. Here is the file. I have uninstalled the everything from the server and starting out clean again. I'll post what I find out. Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Just want to followup, were you able to install successfully after you uninstall and reinstall?

0 Kudos
CollinCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok. There is something going on this site. It keeps deleting my posts for the second time. Anyways, I have re-installed Windows 2K8 R2 from scratch, installed updates, joined to a domain. Logged in as domain administrator. Initiated vCenter simple install. Everything installs but stops with an error when installing SQL server.

2013-10-03_1245.png

I have attached the two log files below.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

Are you installing from CD or DVD ??

If yes, burn the new disk.

If you are using USB, just try to copy to local, and then try installing.

Sure that you are running setup as administrator or UAC disabled.

Hope will help you.

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
CollinCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I followed your directions. I was initially installing from an ISO mounted as drive. But then I copied the files to C drive and ran the Autorun as administrator. I also had disabled the UAC and rebooted the server after that.  But now I get the following error:

2013-10-04_0927.png

I have attached the log files again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As, per logs looks like SQL service is not started on your setup, can you please check SQL service is running from windows services and try to run it manually and try VC install again.

VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 10/04/13 09:25:13 OpenSrvc::ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST The specified service does not exist Error: 1060

VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 10/04/13 09:25:13 OpenSrvc

VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 10/04/13 09:25:13 OpenSrvc::ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST The specified service does not exist Error: 1060

VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 10/04/13 09:25:13 Could not open service.

VMware VirtualCenter-build-1312298: 10/04/13 09:25:13 Srvc_StartService::MSSQL$VIM_SQLEXP service NOT STARTED Error: 1060

If you can not start SQL service manually. Please try below steps

1)Uninstall SQL express from Add/remove

2)Try VC install again

Gortee
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I agree with Ranga,

I have seen this before... SQL got boinked in the install and will not work again.  Remove it clean house by removing everything and start over.  In addition don't use the 5.1 simple install it never worked for me.  Do each step individually.  Just my two cents.

Thanks,

J

Joseph Griffiths http://blog.jgriffiths.org @Gortees VCDX-DCV #143
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Were you able to install successfully  after removing SQL server? Please let us know.

Thanks,

Ranga

0 Kudos
CollinCo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to install the vCenter by disjoining the server from the domain and then logging in as local administrator account. Everything went smooth after that. I don't know why it didn't let me install when using the domain administrator account.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I've just encountered the same problem with vCenter 5.5 U1 on a newly built W2K8-R2-SP1 server. I installed each component individually and hit the same issue at the end of the vCenter install. I was about to try CollinCo's solution of removing the server from the Domain etc, but I went to services.msc and noticed both the vCenter Server and VC Management webservices services had not started. Both of these servers had a "log on as" ".\Administrator". I changed them to log on as "Local System" and they both started fine.

George.

0 Kudos
arjandv1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Collin,

I finally managed to install my vcenter server.

The solution for me was to install as local admin.... Unbelievable.. took me the afternoon.

0 Kudos
ffischer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I get the exact same error and i've tried EVERYTHING posted in this thread...I have no idea what to do now...

enclosed I send you my log-files.

Greetings

ffischer

0 Kudos
ffischer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok... after studying the log-files by myself I've found, that the vpxd/vctomcat Services fail to start.

when I try to start the services via "net start" command manually, I get the Error "1068"

google gives me some good results:

https://www.google.de/search?client=opera&q=vmware+vcenter+5.5+service+error+1068&sourceid=opera&ie=...

but no one helped for me Smiley Sad

after looking into eventvwr I saw an event from source "VMware VirtualCenter Server" with Event-ID 1000

http://www.eventid.net/display-eventid-1000-source-VMware%20VirtualCenter%20Server-eventno-10997-pha...

and again... nothing helped for me...

I despair

0 Kudos
fourhorsemen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

same problem

i am new to installation and i even dont know how to solve can u suggest what is the problem and how can i solve it . i am attaching my log file.

0 Kudos
BrianOwen9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I received a similar error message when I logged into my server with my domain credentials that has local admin rights. Then I logged in with a local admin account and then the update installed fine. Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IIt sounds like there's a group policy affecting the Domain Administrator account preventing it from doing th installation properly?

0 Kudos
mjha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am also facing the similar kind of issue which collins has faced. Here is my environment details:

O.S: Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (My base machine)

Domain Controller + DNS : Server 2003 standard running inside vmware workstation 11.0 which is installed on server 2008 base machine

Network Settings:

On server 2008: VMnet8 has been configured with 192.168.0.x network

server 2003 VM: Network has been selected as custom and VMnet8 (NAT) has been selected

I can ping my domain controller using both IP and Name from server 2008 machine

I can ping my server 2008 machine using both IP and Name from server 2003 machine

server 2008 has been joined to domain

I tried installing VC using both Domain Admin and Local administrator but it is not installing and failing in very first stage.

If i remove server 2008 machine from domain then installation is going smooth.

Can anyone help me here.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Manish Jha | Operations Support Engineer | vCloud Air Operations vExpert 2015-17 | vExpert-NSX | vExpert-Cloud | VCAP6-DCV | VCP6-DCV | RHCE-7 Website : http://vstellar.com
0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter Server 5.5 Update 2 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Indeed, attempting the installation using the local Administrator account instead of a domain account (domain admin) resolved the issue. I hadn't seen this problem in the past with previous versions of vCenter Server on Windows.

Thank you for the tip on this one.

Jas

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos