VMware Communities
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for guest OS support matrix

Hi,

I’m looking for the guest OS support matrix but in vain.  I mean, I’m looking for the matrix stating out what guest OS is supported by which version of VMware Workstation.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

How hard is it to go to http://www.vmware.com, click Support > Compatibility Guides and then under Supported Guest and Host Operating Systems click View the Guest/Host OS tab on the VMware Compatibility Guide Web site.!? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

The compatibility guide shows no support (or mention) of Ubuntu 13.10 as supported but as you can see below the "What's news FAQ"  does.  For what its worth Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 were only released  to Technet t or MSDN subscribers before t WS 10 released - not GA.  Many people would be (rightly) leery of using a product a that stage.  Licensing for one thing.

New Operating System Support
Support has been added for:

• Windows 8.1
  • Windows 8.1 Enterprise
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Ubuntu 13.10

Interestingly Ubuntu 13.10 has yet to be released and is not even at beta level. .  Now I happen to be running VMware Player 6.00 on my unofficial (not supported)  - although fully updated - version of Ubuntu 13.10 Server with multiple GUI's).   Also my Technet version of Windows 2012 R2 RTM is working If I buy WS 10 today  will I get complimentary support for Ubuntu 13.10 when it is released?  O course this machine is experimental - what of those you will use 13.10 in production?.  If there  is another product that  claims compatibility with an unreleased  product please point me to it.  Also many OS's are marked as "deprecated"  For those that are interested here's one definition.

Definition: deprecated: adj. Said of a program or feature that is considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out, usually in favor of a specified replacement. Deprecated features can, unfortunately, linger on for many years. This term appears with distressing frequency in standards documents when the committees writing the documents realize that large amounts of extant (and presumably happily working) code depend on the feature(s) that have passed out of favor

Would it be better to use WS 9 or earlier for those OS's?  In a large shotp I expect this could be a support problem - if not a nightmare.

Please keep in mind these observations are not directly aimed at you WoodyZ - mainly at VMware for posting a useless compatibility matrix.

VMare sales and engineering need to get their act together - such problems have happened with increasing frequency. Give posts on the (dprecated Smiley Happy) WS 10 Beta this release was definitely premature. Let's hope problems will be fixed in the next update to WS 10.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

mfelker wrote: Please keep in mind these observations are not directly aimed at you WoodyZ - mainly at VMware for posting a useless compatibility matrix. .

Why would you even say anything like that since nothing about the Compatibility Guides or the WS10 Release Notes has anything whatsoever to do with me!

As far as "useless compatibility matrix" I personally do not find it useless and Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 were RTM on August 27, 2013 any that is probably why they're already included while the reason Ubuntu 13.10 is not is because it's still a beta release and the final release, and no RTM, is scheduled for October 17th, 2013 at which point there after it should then be added. This has been the normal and expected behavior and Users are supposed to read the Release Notes as well before using a product! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I mentioned that my observation had nothing to do with you  to forestall any problems you might have with my posts.

Anyway Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 may have gone to RTM on 8/27 but they were not available to developers at that date so I would not count it.  That's a quibble however.  The guests work as advertised.

The problem with announcing compatibility with Ubuntu 13.10 is more serious as no way is that available to anybody (since it does not exist for another month).  On my installation there are at least 50+ updates every 24 hours so surely its impossible to know if some of the final code might impact WS 10.   VMware should not advertise compatibility with a Linux product in particular unless its  fully tested.

Both Ubuntu 13.10 hosts and guest work (with VMware Player 6 at least).  But as I said that clearly experimental. VMware tools also installs on Ubuntu 13.10 guest.

So I don't have a beef with the developers and engineers - just with the ad entities. 

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's never hard if one knows where to look at.

It's just that I didn't expect the word "compatibility" in this case and I used the wrong key words in the search and I was looking for some PDF file but obviously there's none.  And nowadays, I rarely read every word or every link.  I would just make a search throughout the page or the site.

Anyway, thanks for info.

0 Kudos