VMware Cloud Community
sadafkhan
Contributor
Contributor

Converting VMs from hyper -V 2012 host machine to vSphere ESXi 5.1 host machine

I want to convert the Hyper-V 2012 hosted VMs to ESXi 5.1 host machines using VMware Converter 5.1.0 build -1087880 but it prompt below error message when i try to connect the Hyper-V 2012 host machine using "Hyper-V" Server option in source of VMware converter utility.

" The version of the selected Microsoft Hyper-V is not supported. Select an earlier version of Microsoft hyper-V server or another supported source type."

Note:- All VMs are created with VHDx disks.

Please help out that what method should be used for converting these VMs. snapshot of error is also attached with this post for reference.

11 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Power on these VMs and convert them as physical machines.

Regards

Plamen

sadafkhan
Contributor
Contributor

I have already converted windows bases VMs as per suggested your method but remaining VMs have Linux & Solaris Operating System.

Please help out that how can convert these VMs.

0 Kudos
GeneTex
Contributor
Contributor

Either me, Since I convert VMs from vsphere to Hyper-V, it seems never support to fail back with vCenter Convert 5.1

Maybe it has to standby the newer version release with vCenter Convert for resolving??

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Live Linux machines can be converted to VM on VC/ESX.

Unfortunatly Solaris is not supported at all.

shupike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excuse me, I faced with a same problem - how can I convert Hyper-V 2012 VM's to ESXi 5.5 as a physical machines?

POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Run the VM and treat it as physical machine Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
shupike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excuse me - can you show me this procedure step-by-step if possible? 😞 I run the VM, but when I'm trying "Move VM to.." I receive error message "dynamic migrations are not enabled on this PC..."

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When VM is powered on: install converter into this machine and proceed or use it's FQDN/IP and administrative credentials in Converter UI: "physical machine" to convert. HTH

0 Kudos
shupike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much! All is correct now 🙂

0 Kudos
ohadbu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi men , need your help with converting VMs from hyper-v 2012 to Esxi 5.5 / Vcenter .

i received exactly the same error that you received

jrodrigo4
Contributor
Contributor

sadafkhan, I managed to do the conversion using the Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2.

With the offline VM hosted on Hyper-V.

I used VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.5.3

Even using the 5.5.3 version, the Hyper-V for Windows Server 2012, has the same error.

"The version of the selected Microsoft Hyper-V is not supported. Select an Earlier version of Microsoft Hyper-V Server or another supported source type."

I had to add the Hyper-V Role on a VM with Windows Server 2008 R2 for the conversion work.

0 Kudos