VMware Communities
ronbrownjr
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 Easy Install on Workstation 10

Greetings,

I am running VMWare Workstation 10.0.0 build-1295980 on Windows 8 x64.  I upgraded to Workstation 10 from Workstation 9, mostly for Windows 8.1 support.

I attempted to create a new VM from the new Windows 8.1 RTM via MSDN; using "en_windows_8_1_x86_dvd_2707392.iso"

Workstation states "Could not detect which operating system is in this disc image.  You will need to specify which operating system will be installed."

When I click "Next", Windows 8.1 is not available in the Version dropdown.  Only up through Windows 8.

This doesn't seem like "Windows 8.1 Support" to me.  Does anyone have any information about this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
xishengzhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Ronbrownjr

Thanks for your trial with win8.1. This has been detected and fixed in advance of your post. Please wait for later release.

for now, Please get it installed manually.

B.R

xisheng

0 Kudos
ronbrownjr
Contributor
Contributor

That would have been helpful information to have BEFORE we spent all that time and money upgrading our developers to Workstation 10.

0 Kudos
tejaaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 8.1 in VMware workstation is 100% supported & works without any issues. Kindly check below guide this will help you in Windows 8.1 installation in VMware workstation 10,

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/step-by-step-guide-how-to-install_3261.html

Thanks

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Have you tried to choose Windows 8 and install Windows 8.1?

I think it will work.

Wait for fixing this in coming versions.

Hope will help.

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Since Windows 8 and 8.1 are so similar, you can choose Windows 8 as the guest type and it will work fine for a Windows 8.1 VM.

The final build of 8.1 is not recognized by Easy Install in Workstation 10.  8.1 was released after Workstation, so all we could test with was the preview version of 8.1.  Easy Install will be fixed in an upcoming update to Workstation.  For now, you will need to manually install 8.1.

0 Kudos