VMware Cloud Community
integration
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter upgrade 5.1.0U1B to 5.5 fail - SSO install error 1603 when install program import the SSO 1.x data

Hi,

I have a simple physical vCenter Windows 2008 R2 / 8 GB RAM / 1TB HD. Installed a simple 5.1.0 U1B center with a Horizon View 5.2 Composer.

When I try to install the first upgrade (SSO), it fail with error 1603 in the import sequence (see le attached log file), after installing and starting new services...

Some ideas ?

Best regards

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Based on the log, it seems encountered the issue as mentioned in KB from previous reply, please follow the instruction in KB to proceed the upgrade.

Let us know if that works for you.

...FQDNIP property. Its value is '172.16.1.227'.

Property(S): MACHINENAME = INTEGRAVC41

Property(S): FQDN = INTEGRAVC41.integration.lan

Thanks.

0 Kudos
integration
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

It work fine for me applying the solution in the SK.

It seem to modify the registry FQDNIp value with the EXACT property found in the certificate. Upercase and lowercase make the difference.

And also not forgetting to remove the %ProgramData%\Vmware\CIS directory !

Thank you for your help !

Best regards

0 Kudos
SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Glad to hear that it works for you. Thanks for the feedback. We are in the progress to improve it.

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Didnt work for me, same errors. Followed the KB article to-the-T. No results. This sucks. My god, please fix this soon, now my SSO services won't start.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

godbucket, please provide your env logs (vminst.log etc under %Temp% folder. Since every case could be unique, let's see the details of yours.

In addition, could you let us know was the 5.1.0U1B a fresh install before, or upgraded from 5.0 or other 5.1 release?

BTW, what is your env OS? If you installed VC with it, please let us know if those components are installed all together, or on distributed env? What is the VC Database?

Hope we can help you.

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I appologize for the bitterness in my previous posts, was just getting very frustrated at the installer errors and the fact that the KB fixed everyone's issue but mine, or so it seemed. I have uploaded all applicable logs to VMware Support Request 13382814710. Turns out my issue is very unique indeed and has been escalated to developer support, as a complete uninstall of my 5.1-U1 environment didn't seem to help; still received error codes. Hopefully they'll be able to figure it out soon... because I simply gotta have 5.5 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MarkusS76
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same Error here. I managed to upgrade by installing VMware-Python and VMware-OpenSSL first. These packages are located on the Installation-disc in the Folder \Single Sign-On\prerequisites\. After installing these two packages is could upgrade SSO the normal way 😉

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MarkusS76, I believe those packages are installed anyway when you run the SSO installer. I tried what you suggested anyway and still received the same errors; "roll back actions" and setup ended "prematurely" with errors. Wish VMware would step up and resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
sjhebert
Contributor
Contributor

This workaround in the KB article did not work for me either.  I also tried installing VMware-Python and VMware-OpenSSL first without success.

The only other thing that I noticed, but I don't think it matters is that the my registry key is is "FqdnIp", not "FQDNIp" as mentioned in the article.

0 Kudos
fge78
Contributor
Contributor

I hade to change the registry key from FqdnIP to FQDNIp and after that it was working.

0 Kudos
dg5803
Contributor
Contributor

I did exactly the same thing, changing FqdnIP to FQDNIp and it started working.

0 Kudos
bsandt
Contributor
Contributor

I fought this issue for hours and hours only to find out after building a new server I encountered the same rollback issue.  It turns out that while the installer will take any password, the install will fail if it doesn't like the password you give it.  Mine happened to start with a dash.  If you're still having trouble, try a different password!

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I fought the law and the law won. No, seriously though, I struggled with VMware support on this for over a month. Finally said SCREW IT and split my vCenter roles onto different servers; created a new server and installed SSO, Update Manager, and Inventory Service on it. I left vCenter service, Web Client service, and SQL installed on the original server. Works like a charm now. Actually works quite nice and somewhat faster in authenticating. Kind of ghetto, and not what I wanted to do, but it works. They really should have held off on the 5.5 release until they figured all this stuff out....

0 Kudos