VMware Cloud Community
xmac123
Contributor
Contributor

Problems trying to convert a .iso to .ova file

I have a .iso image from which I want to create a .ova , But everytime I run into a problem

Error: Curl error: Couldn't connect to server

Completed with errors

Here is the command I used,

ovftool vi://user:master/@14.23.12.34:443/rt4/www/html/imgs/qweTER7.3/.tyRani/NEWCFT/CFT-NEW-5.23.23.iso /rt4/www/html/tmp_ova/CFT-NEW-5.23.23.ova

Not sure whats wrong with this command, I don't have special character in my password or username

please note that 14.23.12.34 is a linux machine and both source and target are in same machine and Im executing ovftool command in same linux machine.

Thank you

Mac

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't think it is possible. Why would you do that?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

why do you want to convert it? What kind of ISO image is it?

Normally the .iso would be something like a OS-installation-medium, while an ova is a format of a file to deploy a virtual appliance.

Tim

0 Kudos
MikeDrangula
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I do this because I want to deploy a guest where the ISO used to install the guest is much smaller than the OVA which results from exporting the already installed ISO.

Put another way, I create an OVA that contains an ISO, a minimal VMDK and an OVF file. The OVF file describes a virtual machine suitable for installing the ISO along with the path name of the ISO and VMDK. When I deploy the OVA, it creates a virtual machine with the ISO attached to the CD-ROM. When that virtual machine powers on the first time, the ISO boots and automatically installs itself. On the next boot, the guest is booted instead of the ISO image.

The only way to accomplish this AFAIK is to create an OVF file that describes what you want to do and then use ovftool to create the OVA from the OVF and ISO. The command line is: ovftool --compress=9 /tmp/foobar.ovf /tmp/foobar.ova

When the ovftool, input file and output file are all on the same machine, there is no need for any of the silliness about user IDs and credentials.

MikeD

0 Kudos
xmac123
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I cant do that, So I need to convert it(iso) into a vm image and then probably I can convert this into a ova.

I came to know that I need to use two tools vim-cmd and  vmkfstools

Can you please let me know how to install these two tools in my linux  command line .

That would be very helpful

Mac

0 Kudos
OzerS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You questions sounds like test question.

vi:/ is to connect to a vcenter server.

use relative path to your iso location and destination location instead. you dont need to login to same machine that you are running the ovftool

Also i am not clear what you are trying to do here, what is in this iso that needs be converted to ova so you can deploy.

Ozzy

0 Kudos
rayaraddi
Contributor
Contributor

I have similar problem.

I work for a testing team, we need to evaluate many versions of esxi

due to this reason i want to convert esxi iso to ova so that we can create nested esxi's easily

else i need to create vm with iso and then take a template of the same to use later. Please share your helpful thoughts. Thank you

0 Kudos