VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion Professional for power users or technology enthusiasts: is one license sufficient for all one's Macs?

The question in the title is quite self-explanatory: if I use VMware Fusion 6 Professional only for non-commercial purposes (as a power user or technology enthusiast), can I use only one license for all my Macs (as for the non-pro version of Fusion); or do I need to buy one license for each Mac on which it's installed, anyway, only because it's the Pro version?

Reading the license (EULA), which talks about "VMware Fusion" generically, it should probably be the former case (one license is sufficient for all Macs, for non-commercial use): but just to be sure...

The associated Fusion Pro VMware Player Plus license, on the contrary, seems to be applicable only to one PC/VM at a time: but is it reusable, meaning that if you uninstall it from one PC/VM, you can then re-use it on another...?

Finally, can I also use the Fusion 6 Pro key to upgrade from Player Plus 6 to Workstation 10?

Thanks for any help...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the VMware Fusion 6 EULA accessed by clicking License Agreement on the About VMware Fusion window.

VMWARE FUSION AND VMWARE FUSION PROFESSIONAL

You may install and use the Software for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may install and use the Software on a number of Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control equal to the number of licenses purchased.  Installing and using the Software on multiple Mac Computers with a single license is prohibited even if the computers are not running the Software concurrently.

I'd say that was self-explanatory! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the VMware Fusion 6 EULA accessed by clicking License Agreement on the About VMware Fusion window.

VMWARE FUSION AND VMWARE FUSION PROFESSIONAL

You may install and use the Software for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may install and use the Software on a number of Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control equal to the number of licenses purchased.  Installing and using the Software on multiple Mac Computers with a single license is prohibited even if the computers are not running the Software concurrently.

I'd say that was self-explanatory! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ah - and, of course, I hadn't looked at that license in the "About..." window...

Well, so the non-commercial terms seem to apply to both versions (ordinary and pro): very good!

Thanks, Woody... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry I don't have the answer to your other question "Finally, can I also use the Fusion 6 Pro key to upgrade from Player Plus 6 to Workstation 10?" however looking at the VMware Store it only shows upgrading from VMware Workstation or VMware Player Plus.  My guess would be that License Keys issued when purchasing VMware Fusion Professional and or VMware Player Plus have a sequence that differentiates them so one doesn't end up being able to have one's cake and eat it too, so to speak.  In other words using a VMware Fusion Professional License Key to upgrade to VMware Workstation would still give one the technical ability to run VMware Fusion while also running VMware Workstation and then having both products while having not paid an appropriate amount to have the right to actually run both.  With VMware Player Plus this is not an issue since VMware Workstation also contains VMware Player.  Of course this is just conjecture on my part and you'll need to get a definitive answer from VMware.

SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well, I guess that one can just try in the "purchase upgrade" page, and see if it works, or not.

Anyway, Player is more than sufficient, especially for nested VMs inside Fusion...

0 Kudos